Animate the emissive map

Hey,

I’m trying to create an animated emissive material: Basically I have a paper model that I created with Maya and texture with substance painter, i’d like to create an effect where an emissive drawing appears on the paper (to simulate someone writing it) like in after effect ( After Effects Tutorial: Handwriting Effect Animation - YouTube the intro)

I can see how I could animate my emissive map (make it glow or not), but how could I make it invisible, and then have it appear like in the video ? I’m thinking animating it in another software (like after effect) and then importing it into unreal as a… decals ? not sure. Looking for any guidance. Below is a very quick texturing in substance. The first part of my question is for the middle snake like trail.

I also have an additional question but this is really pushing it from my part, how could I go about have the paper edges burn ? Would it be possible to have the paper edges be normal, and simulate them go from normal to burn, like in pic ? (a bit like a blend shape ?) Not sure how I could do it in unreal.
](filedata/fetch?id=1861036&d=1612962938)
https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64

Cheers, thanks

Use a render target and play some media into the material.
maybe even footage, depends on the kind of effect you go for.

Writing is simple, you just fade an alpha texture in over time. At the same slant as the cursive. Won’t be perfect, but its cheap.

sparks and other stuff on the point of where writing happens are harder. Definitely use a pre-recorded video of some sort for that so as not to waste time in engine…

Thanks for the help, yea sparks, flames is not really my worries right now, but I think a pre recorded video of paper being burn would look a bit cheap, unless i’m misunderstanding what you’re writing.
As for the alpha texture it makes sense, I’ll have to create it into photoshop then and not substance

‘Use a render target and play some media into the material.
maybe even footage, depends on the kind of effect you go for.’

Do you mean doing it in another software and import the writing as a video ?

Yes. (10 character limit)…