An updated Epic Developer Community experience

• The Epic Developer Community has transitioned over to the overall Epic design language in order to provide a coherent experience no matter which Epic website you engage with. Many Epic sites are transitioning over to this unified design.

Will the Epic Games Store transition to this design language too? Just curious :slight_smile:

I just found the old search option is broken in Opera GX. Here you can see how I see it

And here is how I see it on Edge (the column works)

I had this initially as well. Clearing all cached data in Firefox for unrealengine.com (and epicgames.com, just to be safe) resolved it for me.

Same. Clear cache fix this

I second this. This button is broken in Safari. The drop down menu is clipped.

Please fix search, it is currently not possible to search or filter in pages like this:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/tags/c/general/issues-and-bug-reporting/172/fortnite

Previously we were able to perform search to find workarounds for issues and see if the issue has already been logged and vote for it.

1 Like

I was coming to post this. The new C++ API formatting borders on completely useless now. You’d be better off just linking us to the header files for each class instead of trying to format it in a way that hides important information. To add to SkyeTeran’s comment, for class method descriptions we are also missing critical information such as whether a method is static or virtual.
While I am at it, what happened to the 4.2X documentation? It is often important for us to be able to look at how the API has changed from one version to the next, especially since some of our code started in 4.2X releases. Right now, it looks like there is no way to find the 4.2X versions of class documentation.

3 Likes

I very much appreciate all the work you put into this. Whole UEFN platform and everything related to it is getting better and better.
But I am still having a hard time searching forums :(.

C++ API search is completely non-functional now too.

Is there somewhere to download an offline copy of the documentation?

I keep getting notifications on the first message I replied to with the new forum - about 4 a day - all referencing the one post (with no actual replies or comments).

I have noticed the same and haven’t found a solution yet.

I have a similar issue, where it says somebody replied to me. when I check to see their new reply, there isn’t a new reply to check

Some overall updates:

The Python doc issues were noted, as you may have noticed we have reverted python docs back to the old URL for now while we figure out how to build out better API doc functionality in general. (@sclluke )

There were some issues with Search, and a number of updates have gone live:

1. You can now filter between API docs and regular docs. This makes sure that API doc pages don’t overtake the results all the time.
  2. We now only display the latest engine version doc pages in the search results
  3. We only show English doc results by default, unless you select a particular language in the filter settings.

Overall our search can be better still though. We have a project going with a couple of people in the web engineering team that is meant for search to deliver more accurate results over the next couple of months.

@BrunoAr - We noticed that the old left nav is sometimes cached on your machine and does not refresh by itself. If you hard refresh the page you should be getting the new one.

@Arodi007 @EliasWick - Did we have this previously? Did we remove it? We have a marketplace veteran badge, but currently not one for each marketplace creator.
Let me raise that as maybe we do need to have that, however if we add that then likewise we may need to add in a badge for anyone who has Fortnite islands published, or games on EGS to keep it consistent. We will ponder through that idea a little.

@SkyeTerran @Rob.Engle @_jrdmellow - Sorry for these issues, I pinged people on the team to look at this, and work on it.

@everynone - There seems something wrong there indeed, I raised it internally to get it fixed.

@Rawalanche - Yours is a lot cleaner indeed, though I personally like seeing a preview of the post in the line, it helps to get a sense for what the post is about before clicking it.
I will ask to explore what happens if we move some of the icons in front of the thread titles to the line below like you did.

@_jrdmellow - We have just requested Google to reindex all pages and hopefully this helps. The 5.x pages are no longer on the old site, once the search engines figure that out you hopefully should be able to google for a UE4 topic and hit solely those pages on the old docs site without being redirected half the time.

@latunda - On mobile there appears to be an issue, but on PC this is working for me, unless you are hitting something else? If I click the search magnify glass it leads to Search results for '' - Epic Developer Community Forums with all the same filter options we had before?

1 Like

Thank you for reaching out @Hourences! Yes, we used to have badges for being a Marketplace Creator. Here is an older post going over Badges and Titles

Marketplace Creator

The Unreal Engine Marketplace is full of interesting and useful items to help developers along their journey. If you are a seller on this marketplace, you get this special badge. It not only shows that you have the skills to sell assets, but it also grants access to an exclusive Creator’s Hub sub-forum. The Creator’s Hub is a place to talk with other makers and Epic staff about concerns and suggestions that affect sellers specifically. The badge is only granted after your first pack goes live, not when it’s accepted.

1 Like

Search works if you open the direct link with the search query. But it is not possible to navigate there from the forum page. It would be better to allow to search/filter in the said page and hard code some search parameters like tags:fortnite Issues and Bug Reporting

Otherwise the query is too long and you can accidentally delete stuff when entering the actual query.

Also, search does not return the same cards, you cannot see some forum related info like upvotes, number of comments etc.

Mobile vs Desktop. I use different accounts on different devices. Search clearly shows I have a lot more mobile posts than my desktop posts. A lot of us spend personal time helping others resolve issues and logging bugs for you. Mobile web should be a priority.

1 Like

@EliasWick we will look into it and most likely put it back!

@latunda Hm, I might be missing something. Are you trying this just on mobile, or does it also happen on PC? On PC it should all be working as intended.
To try to figure out where the issue might be here is what I see on PC in the FN issue category:

True regarding votes and comments. I think that may have been the same before though? But we should definitely look at adding that in for sure nonetheless.

2 Likes

Hi,
We’re still getting stuck notifications coming 3-4 times a day - I’ve had this one 3-4 times a day since the new forum was launched:

I believe you when you say it works on PC. I only use mobile.

thanks for the reply @Hourences

may I kindly ask if is there a page with all the updates to documentation?
Because UEFN and verse are being changed a lot and being built, a updates page would be great to be on top of the changes and make sure we dont miss anything important.

thanks in advance

Good work on the updated Epic Dev Community experience, it seems like a definitive step up. Really appreciate the fact that finally search engines will start indexing the latest UE version of the doc. It was getting tiring having to use a browser plugin to auto edit the URLs.

Also a huge fan of the way all things are in the same “space” now. Especially the docs & forums. It’s a very good call.

1 Like