An idiots guide to using the Oculus SDK with FMOD

Nevermind… keep calm and carry on.

Can you use their audio SDK even if you aren’t making a VR game? VR or not, everything benefits from spatialized audio. :slight_smile:

Thank you for . Do you know if this works on Android for the GearVR?
I’m going to budget around a day to integrate this for the VR Jam. Audio isn’t getting any love in that Jam.

Thank you for . Do you know if this works on Android for the GearVR?
I’m going to budget around a day to integrate this for the VR Jam. Audio isn’t getting any love in that Jam.
[/QUOTE]

Edit: Yes, it works with help from FMOD Support.

Firsthand experience with this… following 's guide here and here, neither the FMOD nor Oculus plugins will package properly to the Note 4 and so the app will crash at start up because the plugins are not included in the apk. The solution is to contact FMOD support and to request a modification to the UEDeployAndroid.cs file in the UE4 source code, as described within the Deployment section of the FMOD Integration CHM Documentation in the UE4 Help menu.

Though this will allow the FMOD plugin itself to deploy to Android, the Oculus Spatializer plugin requires the libovrfmod32.so file from the Oculus Audio SDK to be manually placed in Engine\Plugins\FMODStudio\Lib\Android within the UE4 Source directory, which then gets packaged in the proper location by FMOD Studio once the source code modfications from FMOD Support are applied.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I’ll try the latest native 3D audio support in the master branch instead of FMOD.

I was able to get the Oculus Spatializer working on the GearVR with FMOD Support’s help and edited the post above to reflect this. I posted a rough outline of the process over on the Oculus forums to try and help Bino and anyone else in the Jam get it up and running as quickly as possible. If you are in the Mobile VR Jam and reading this while researching how to get the Oculus Spatializer working, the only option within UE4 at this time is to get FMOD up and running and deploying to Android successfully, which requires contacting FMOD Support. If you have a question about my process for getting it to work, reach out through a PM or post it here and I will answer if I am able.

The instructions posted here and by and Geoff of FMOD works really well :slight_smile:

May as well try asking this question here. I’ve posted it in the FMOD forums as well.

This works well for me if I drag and drop an FMOD event into the scene.

However I can’t seem to fire it from blueprints. It works in the mobile and PC simulator but not in Note4.

Is it possible to fire spatialized sounds from Blueprints?

Wanting to follow along, as I’m curious as well, yet am confused that you posted in the FMOD forums… their forums are archived read only. Where did you post this?

I posted the question where Geoff gave his answer - http://www.fmod.org/questions/question/deploying-on-android

But I now realised that’s not really an appropriate place based on the format of that site.

Re-asked: http://www.fmod.org/questions/question/unable-to-play-events-from-blueprints-in-android

Solved: http://i.imgur.com/dySXSr3.png

You have to add an FMODAudio object to the blueprint class. You cannot select an event from Play Event Attached.

I tried everything and I am not able to make this work, I always get error

LogFMOD:Warning: d:\jk\workspace\Build__1.7__UE4Libs_Win\studio_api\src\fmod_effect.cpp(189) - Missing DSP plugin 'OCULUS SPATIALIZER'
LogFMOD:Warning: d:\jk\workspace\Build__1.7__UE4Libs_Win\studio_api\src\fmod_bankmodel.cpp(232) - Creating stub DSP plugin model and continuing.

Hey . I tried to follow your guide but with the changes to the plugin/fmod it does not seem to work anymore. Anyone try this with the current Audio SDK and current version of Fmod?

When I drop my events into the level they do not play Audio. I can right click on the event in the UE4 editor and click play and hear the audio. Is there something I need to ensure to get it to play right away?

Little differences I notice now:

The Oculus FMOD plugin looks different with different knobs.

I have two FMOD plugin in UE4 editor. FMOD Studio and FMOD Oculus plugin. I have tried enabling and disabling them.

I test in the editor, VR Preview and from a compiled EXE.

I have’nt tried using FMOD since I wrote this guide TBH. But i’d imagine the reason there are two plugins is because Geoff @ FMOD did what he suggested and seperated out the standard FMOD plugin and my additional blueprint nodes into two seperate modules.

As far as your other issues are concerned I really cant remeber how the audio events works.

This video series might shed some light on that. https://youtube.com/watch?v=K64sGI9cKEg

This isn’t necessarily a problem. The integration uses on FMOD studio system while in the editor, and a second while in the game (or PIE). The system used in the editor is for auditioning and general information querying, and we don’t load plugins into that system for stability. If its printing that warning in the editor at startup you can ignore it. The error you want to keep on eye out for is a red error when running PIE that says “DSP plugin returned an error, bank will not load properly.”.

Other than that, there are two things to be aware of

• Make sure the Oculus .dll you use is the same version in FMODStudio\Binaries<Win64 or Mac> as the version you used in FMOD Studio.
  • In FMOD Studio Oculus project settings, click “Oculus Enabled”. That should load the plugin for you when you run PIE or launched game.

If you are still having problems, try posting a new Q/A on FMOD and we can dig into why its not working.

I work on a project for the Oculus Rift CV1. The problem i have is that the sound created with FMOD plays not on trough the Oculus Headphones but trough my standard speakers! I need 3d sound and therefore i would like to get some support how to get the sound played trough the Rift itself? Even when in the preferences i change the output to Rift Headset it wont use the headset!

The OP method doesn’t work with 1.08 FMOD.

There two knobs, min and max range on the panel of Oculus Spatializer. Those set the distance. Too bad you can’t see it in the Editor when using Oculus (native FMOD plugin shows attenuation in the 3D view, Oculus’ doesn’t) :frowning:

Thanks for the guide, some things were a little different on my end due to version and updates.

I’m at the stage of getting the attenuation working on a FMOD event. I tried a few different approaches.

I curious as to how you set the “Distance parameter” in the FMOD event to = attentuation in unreal.

A screenshot would be good of how you setup the blueprint for basic attenuation (if that’s how you approach it)

Regards

Thanks,

Unfrtuantly it doesn’t work for me. Probably I don’t have this **ovrfmod64.dll **file and I don’t know how to download it. Or how to install it. I have fmod in my project folder not in my engine folder (I am working with source control)
I have fmod plugin working in Unreal and I have Oculus Spatializer appearing in fmod but everytime I enable spatializer everything in UE4 is silent.

I am using ue 4.18 and fmod studio 1.10.

Did you manage to find a solution to this, I’m encountering the same issue with 4.19 and studio 1.10.07.