Alternatives to Tessellation in UE5?

I know there’s been a lot of back and forth with the removal of tessellation or what I think has been a removal, but I’d like to see if anyone has ideas on an alternative method to generating the effect I’m trying to create.

One of the shaders I’ve been playing with has been for a star. Up to this point, I’ve been using tessellation to create the changing convection cells on the “surface” of the start. Creating the tessellation in the shader gave me a really good dynamic mesh for the topology of the star surface. (i.e. the bubbling surface) Since tessellation has been removed, I can’t create that same effect anymore, so I’m reaching out the community to see if anyone had an alternatives in mind. One idea I had in mind was the create a star completely with the Niagara System, but I’m by no means an artist.

Thanks!

Something like this? → UE5 - Disp Effect with World Position Offset Test - YouTube

Same effect just that you’ll have to import your own high poly static mesh for this and manage it with lods: UE5 - LODs - YouTube.

Nanite will not work with this. Lumen works great though.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response and the videos. I’ll definitely give this a shot! I’ve started playing with it and I’ll see if I can get a hold of the look and feeling I’m targeting. But this was an approach I hadn’t considered.

Thanks Again!

2 Likes