AI stuck with small objects

Hello there.

I have dealing for a long time with a problem with my AI. Basicly, it gets stuck on any small object in the scene, for example, y have a small step, the nav mesh appears correctly over it showing that it is walkable. But my npc just keep getting stuck on the edge insted of walk over it. Is very annoying because I’ve been struggling with it a long time.

It look like it only walk over it when he goes fast enoght and if I drop it over (obviusly). The step isn’t higher than the ankle and still getting stuck.

Also I tried by increasing the max step height in the npc’s character movement, still getting stuck even with a value of 10000, much higher than really needed.

Setting the object as non collider isn’t a solution for my case either.

Hope all that info makes easier to help me with a solution.

Thankss

Hello Doc.gdi, and thank you for posting your question.

I see you have adjusted the max step height to some extremes and did not get the expected results. Have you tried adjusting the Agent Max Slope value? Using the default Manny skeletal mesh and a basic AI setup, I was unable to reproduce the concern. I would also consider looking around for any errant collisions in the level. Lastly, I would consider checking the small mesh’s collision.

Additionally, can you post a few images so we can get a good idea of what your mesh and nav mesh looks like?

I look forward to your reply.

1 Like

Ok, it wasn’t really any of that, but by telling me that you coudn’t reproduce the error made me think what would happend if i create a simple actor and it simply worked. So after changing values of character movement component, after removing all components of my actor mto make sure isn’t a collision problem with one of the components I figured out what the problem was.

So the problem was with something my partner edited long ago. The scale of the capsule component was x=1.1 y=1.6 z=1.1 instead of an uniform scale. By changing the capsule component to x, y and z value of 1 it just worked (ofc the capsule component is the root component of the actor)

1 Like