AI Navigation with limited turning

I’m working on a project that only allows movement up, down, left or right (no diagonal). Think like an old top down game or snake. Is it possible to use the AI navigation and navmesh but only allow the AI characters to turn in 90 degree increments? Or limit them to moving along 1 axis at a time.

I can set the basic movement up using blueprints and manually scripting the turning and moving, but I also want them to be able to go around objects using the navmesh, and without using a diagonal path.

Thanks

Curious as to if you figured this out or not. I am currently working on something similar and have been trying to figure this out, but can’t seem to.

I’m very interested in this issue too as I need 45 degrees increment in movement (grid based movement, but no teleporting between tiles, I just want the charcters to move from node to node).

First you need to determine if the point is diagonal to you with a “find look at rotation,” probably with an acceptable range for each direction so you can change it to your liking. Then if it’s diagonal, move either horizontally or vertically until the look at rotation is in the acceptable range for horizontal/vertical and then move to it.