AI death blocking navigation

Hi all! I’ve been trying to fix a bug but I have no idea what’s causing it.

I’m working on an FPS shooter but the AI’s navigation is getting stuck on the bodies of other enemies. They try to walk around it, and in tight spaces, it makes them twist and turn like crazy.

[video=youtube_share]2021 03 05 AI Death Blocking - YouTube

I’ve tried several things so far, including deleting all components except for its skeletal mesh, unchecking “Can ever affect navigation” on all components, setting all collision responses on that mesh to “ignore” except for WorldStatic, etc.

I’m not great at AI and navigation stuff so I might have missed something when triggering the death of the AI.

What’s weird to me is that the enemies seem to be avoiding the place of death, not the body itself. This is visible in this image:

It also seems to be more of a navigation thing than a collision thing, because the AI always eventually manages to walk past it. It’s just that their path finding freaks out and they start twisting and walking slower.

If anyone could help me out with this or point me in the right direction, I’d really appreciate it!

If you need more info, just let me know.

Found a (temporary) fix by first enabling the ragdoll physics on the mesh, then placing the actor at 0,0,-2000, and not destroying any of its components. No idea why but that last part seems to be what messes things up.

I know you’ve asked this ages ago, but still, here is an answer. The Capsule Component of your Enemy Character remains on the place of death and the AI tries to walk around that. Destroying the Capsule Component on death would do the trick.