AI crowd controller - Mostly ignore other AI actors?

Hey everybody.

So I have a slightly non-standard horde type of game. When I say non-standard, I mean that the AI characters will be able to pass freely through one-another. I’m using a crowd controller to get more of a cluster type of movement rather than having them just pile ontop of one another while following the same chase path, and it’s “mostly” working. The problem I’m having is that they tend to jitter around a fair bit when in clumps and if 2 or more completely overlap they slow to a crawl until all but one is eliminated.

Does anyone know, or have some pointers on how to keep the swarm type of movement but ease up the collision avoidance logic?

They are set as their own collision channel which ignores other members of that channel for collision purposes.

Any tips, tricks, tutorials, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem when programing some NPCs the idea that I got to have them push each other a little bit when they collide(not enough to stop their movement but enough to make them not to fuse together), but sadly I never tested if it really worked so look into it but don’t be too optimistic.

Ps: You can make the push stronger if the NPCs closer to each other but again it can create some problems so do check if its something that you want.

Pss: If you do try this try to shutdown AI CC to see if it works better without it as well.