After building unreal engine from source, the folder is now 168GB. What can i delete?

I have already deleted the .git folder but there is no way this 168gb is just the engine itself. What unnecessary parts can i delete to free up some memory from this monster of an install?

btw i built from the ue5-main branch so its technically 5.1 i think

3 Likes

All the pdbs can be safely deleted - they are huge.

pdbs?

File *.pdb. Search and kill them all.

ok. any folders in particular i can delete?

what about these?
/Engine/Source?
/Engine/Intermediate?
/Engine/Plugins?
/Engine/Binaries?

I am not sure about the rest - UE4 tend to recompile the whole thing (I dont understand) when even small CPP changes are detected. So if you delete those intermediate folders you may have to rebuilt which takes a long time. I dont have time to actually experimenting.

If I were you, it is suffice to delete just PDB. In my 4.27 source compile, PDB takes about 40GB space and the whole thing is about 155GB. Maybe better invest in new SSD, they are cheap nowadays.

I just delete Vault Cache, but it helps only if there are some imported materials, etc.

I deleted the intermediate folder and it spent literally all day rebuilding. used to be like 80gb now its 160. total install is now like 300gb. this sh*t is ridiculous.

deleted .pdb, .dsym… What seems to be taking up the most space is these .cpp.o files but i have no idea if deleting them will break it. I’ve backed the whole thing up to a hard drive, so, fck it. I’m gonna start just deleting sh*t and see what happens.

Ok i tried deleting the individual intermediate folders in the each of the plugins folders because the plugins folder alone is 130gb. did not help. they are now being rebuilt.

this ■■■■ happens every single time i try to add a single basically empty c++ class. i’m not even using these plugins! wtf is wrong with unreal engine???

tried deleting .o files. size of the installation goes down to about 70-80gb from 330gb which is more the expected size.

editor launches just fine, great. new project runs. add a new c++ class to the project? Recompiles. Doesn’t take all day like after deleting the intermediate files, takes like 10 minutes. Editor needs to be relaunched to see the changes.

Relaunch the editor… no wait. whoops. Editor won’t even open. Binary inside the editor has somehow deleted itself along with a ton of core dependencies. So even though it HAD all the files it needed to run just fine the moment compilation happens.

This is getting ridiculous. Epic you need to respond. Why is it so ■■■■ hard to build from source???

has anyone found a fix for this?

Any updates? Engine folder is currently sat at 256gb

I’m interested too!

Anyway, I think we can remove the folder \Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\x64

For the moment, I have deleted it and I can still open the engine, but it may break something else like packaging a game (I don’t know). Anyway, I have gained 112GB.