Advanced Sessions Plugin

Default / Master branch is ue5, 4.27 is no longer the latest engine version so it is in a locked branch now.

Wondering what the best method is for transitioning all players to a new map. Do I just have to kick everyone and then reconnect everyone to a new level, or is there a way to transition all players to a new level in the same session?

Thanks.

1 Like

I donā€™t know why I couldnā€™t find this but it worked straight away! Thank you for all your help so far.

Hi again, solved my original issue (really pays to read the error log). but this might be a dumb question, my game concept is to allow players to create rooms, sessions, lobbies (whichever is the correct term to use) in which other players can join (up to 6) and then other players after that can join as like spectators in a sense. my question is can this type of session/room/lobby that a player creates via the advanced session node stay open practically indefinitely or is there some time limit cap set to not allow it to stay open that long?

Thanks for any input/information

By chance do you know why I can find a LAN session when I test with two different standalone games on the same laptop, but when I package the game and try it on two different computerā€™s, I canā€™t find any sessions. Both profiles connect to steam no problem and I also included a blank c++ file cus I heard I need that as well. I noticed you said yours works for 4.27, so I thought Iā€™d ask because Iā€™m also using 4.27. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appeciated!

If you are packaging to shipping you need to include an app_id.txt file as well, with editor / development builds its auto generated in the .exe directly, with shipping builds it is not.

Hm okay thanks. Well I had my package build config set to development instead of ā€œshippingā€, but Iā€™m not sure if that matters. I added in the app_id.txt file into my previous package for both computers, and still nothing. I might need to add the txt file in before hand then repackage it again Iā€™m guessing?

Hey I have a question. When I play on standalone and I connect to steam no sessions can be found no matter how many I create. This is only when Iā€™m connected to steam and I just wonder if it is because I use the same steam account on two windows to test it.

Sorry I has misread your original post a bit, if you are using the steam subsystem two instances on the same computer arenā€™t going to work as they would both try and register under the same steam account.

You would want to test under a lan environment instead of over steam with one computer.

Yes

How do I get the 4.26 plugin?

Download the 4.26-Locked branch from the repo or get the precompiled 4.26 binaries from www.vreue4.com

Iā€™m using UE4.27.2 and set up the environment according to the tutorial on unreal engine docs. However, when steam is running, I cannot open levels. When I run an ā€œopen levelā€ node, the new level shows up for an instant and then returns to the default level. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

1 Like

I have tried everything to get advance sessions to work with 4.27.2 I have port forwarded all my ports I am at my wits end please someone help me. I can not get my game to show up on the internet tab of the steam servers list. I can see the game in LAN tab and in FAVORITES tab if I specifically add the ip adresss but I can not find the server in game.

Is the plugin compatible with UE 5.0.1? I have the same setup from 4.26.2 but it does not work. I am doing a listen server with lobbies = true, giving it time after starting the game, playing as standalone, added the necessary code in DefaultEngine.ini and unchecked run under one process.

Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I unchecked ā€œUse Lobbies Voice Chat If Availableā€ and now it occasionally joins session. Sometimes it fails though. Is there a timeout from Steam that restricts how often you can call the Steam Session functions?

Any plan on updating it to UE5?

Master branch is already UE5 as its the latest released version of the engine.

1 Like

Well you shouldnā€™t be calling it when one is already in progressā€¦that is why they are latent nodes that return at the end when the result is known.

I know this Question seems kinda dumpā€¦ Butā€¦ I just wanna make sureā€¦

Advanced Sessions is just a reinforcement of the basic Session BP System of UEā€¦ Soā€¦ This works with EOS Subsystem, too?