Advanced Material Pack

The material pack is now live on the marketplace!! It’s the in the first 3 items at the top of the marketplace as well as the 3rd space from the left under the ‘Art’ section.

As you will see i have set the price at $20 which is very inexpensive considering the amount of time put into the materials and the amount of time it will save you when building your project. Over 4 months went into developing and fine tuning the materials, creating the textures, and making them easily adjustable via instancing and these materials should allows you to create just about anything.

I hope to see some cool stuff made by the community with these materials!

Is there a reason is happening? The material is applied to the sphere mesh you provided, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Edit: Removed giant picture

Thanks for the purchase JamesEmory!

You should be using the provided Material Instances rather than the base Material - If you open up the demo map you will notice that all of the spheres are using the instances, not the base materials. Also keep in mind that the TessBlend material uses absolute minimum and maximum height so the scale of the object it’s applied to will effect how it looks unless you also adjust the maximum and minimum height in the material instance.

You don’t need to mess with the Base Material unless you want to make root level changes to how it functions, all of the attributes of the Base Material including texture maps, material scale and tessellation resolution can be adjusted via the instances. If you want to have different instances with different variables just duplicate the instances provided and adjust as needed.

Also make sure that whatever object you’re applying the material to has a decent amount of tessellation since tessellation in UE4 basically subdivides already existing polygons.

If you need any more help let me know!

Yeah, I just figured that out. Had a massive brain fart, so my bad.

Heh, no worries! Post whatever you create with the materials, I’d love to see it!

Hi Charlestons, I just purchased your pack. It’s an amazing product for the price!

I’m having, however, an with the traslucent water materials. There is some weird effect with the camera, I’m not sure what is causing it:

It doesn’t seem related to the lighting – if I choose unlit mode, the same happens:

Any clues on how to fix ?

Thanks!

Hey LHutz, glad you like it, thanks for the purchase!

That artifacting you’re seeing has to do with the way the engine seams to handle refraction with normalmaps, from what i understand it’s a current with the engine itself. I was using an alternate method originally but it was causing some other issues which were more important for my purposes.

If you want to try changing the node tree for refraction yourself here is a screen grab of what you should replace it with MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FIRST, may reduce that artifacting problem but currently i don’t think there is a way to completely get rid of it.

Let me know if that helps or if you need any more help!

http://c-mediasolutions.com//share/ue4/ue4refraction01.jpg

Any tips on using your terrain material on landscape? Should one start off by flooding the landscape with vertex blue/full alpha for example? There is apparently no documentation with the pack, so I thought I’d ask here.

Thanks! That did the trick (indeed, it still shows a bit at the bottom of the screen, but it’s now much of an anymore).

The Tessellated material in pack was not designed to be used with the Landscape Actor since the Landscape Actor requires a very specific material setup to function properly and using tessellated materials on Landscape Actors has many know issues.

That being said i have developed a tessellated material specifically for use with the Landscape Actor which allows for a 3 texture set blend but it is not yet perfected and still has some issues - I may release material later on the marketplace in another pack but until it’s perfected i won’t release it publicly.

The Tessellated material included in pack was designed to be used on tessellated meshes for smaller areas that don’t require exact player collision since the player collision will be derived from the mesh itself, not the tessellated surface

The thread i have linked below demonstrates what the material was designed for, every structural object in scene including the floor uses the Tessellated material to give it more detail and depth

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?8552-Abandoned-Tunnel-Scene-WIP&highlight=tunnel

Also if you scroll down in that thread you will see some video clips showcasing some of the different features of the Tessellated Material.

While I figured out last night that the terrain material would not work very well with the landscape, I really think you should consider renaming the material. Because you named it “Terrain material”, that is going to be very misleading for some potential buyers. I specifically bought your pack because of the terrain and water shaders, but soon realized that the terrain material would not work on landscapes. I understand that terrain != landscape, but that’s generally what people think of immediately when they see the word terrain in relation to game development.

Has anyone utilized the materials in pack to create anything worth showing off yet? I’d love to see what you have come up with!

Great News! pack is now on sale for 20% off now through April 28th so if you have not yet picked it up now would be the time to do so!

Here is the direct link - https://www.unrealengine.com/content/7c6fae346b034281bf0ea65768f50d01