I have almost finished a tool to place easily use HDRi background in a very fast and efficient way, and better than UE Backdrops.
Marketplace link: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…ackground-tool
You can place HDRi backgrounds as usual (a spherical background and your objects floating in the center), or as a HDRi studio set, having a floor and being able to cast shadows (this second option is similar to UE Backdrops, but my tool also casts and shows direct shadows from the SkyLight and it’s capable of showing ray traced Global Illumination too). Both modes, since UE v4.23, allows you to rotate the Sky light and update at the same time the rotation of the background to fit the same orientation. Besides, you can select Reflection Captures you want to also have the same rotation than Sky and background, so the tool will warn you if your designed Reflection Captures are no more on the same orientation or with the same HDR image, after you have made any change on the Sky. (It was not possible to update Reflection Captures automatically, as the rest, as you can’t access the parameters from blueprints, but at least it will check the state of the Sky (current Cubemap and current Angle and will show you a warning message if they are not the same).
In addition, I have included a 64 royalty free 4k HDRi library in the pack, so with both things you will be able to fastly try and set HDRi backgrounds on the fly.
- HDRi background tool: classic “levitating” spherical or real floor.
- Casting and showing “direct” shadows comming from the HDR cubemap of the Sky.
- Allowing and showing ray traced Global Illumination.
- HDRi pivot/vanishing point selection: centered to camera or an specified one.
- Button to refresh the background and syncronize with the Sky’s HDR image and the rotation angle of the Sky. From v4.23, included an Editor Widget to automatically syncronize the background with the Sky, without needing to manually press the refresh button.
- No need to install any plugin.
- 64 royalty free 4k HDR no-blurry images to drag & drop. (Credits to hdrihaven.com)
- Compatible with versions previous to UE 4.23 too.
A fast example of settings and capabilities:
Comments are really welcome! Thanks!