[ADDON ] UE Tools

AWESOME TOOL!!! I’ll admit, I’ve had it for a while and avoided using it but now that I’ve used it… WHAT AN IDIOT I TURNED OUT TO BE!!! I will point out that for some reason I cannot add the Mannequin using the tool or whatever but I CAN open the included file and use that and THAT was all I needed. Man I knocked out like 6 or 7 animations in one day! This is sick! THANK YOU!!!

Hi always glad to see that the addon is useful for others, thanks :wink: . About the problem for add the mannequin, maybe the problem is wrong installation. For install the addon you must install the zip file, not the .py file (the first version of the addon was only the .py file). I noticed that some people have had problems with that. If your installation is correct, can you tell me what error you get?

Greetings!

Basically when I click on the ‘append UE4 Mannequinn button’ (or whatever it says) nothing happens. I can open the Blend file fine enough though and work from that and that’s really all I needed was that skeleton. But I downloaded the 2.75 upgrade and unzipped the entire thing into the - Add Ons folder. SO the .py and the Blend file are both in a folder in that directory. I also have to click ‘Export All Animations’ to get anything out. None of the other buttons works. But, as I said, I just needed that skeleton.

Mm is strange because if the py file and the template are in the same directory, and you can enable the addon, the append mannequinn button should work.

Also I try it the ‘Export all animations’ and for me work fine. This button export every fake action as an animation. I put a panel for manage the actions on the addon.

If for you are great, nice! at least some parts help you :wink: , but can you tell me what Os you use? , maybe the problem is related with the path , I don’t know, and maybe I can find something that is wrong.

And well if you use windows maybe this can help. When I install the addon by the normal proces, installing the zip file like regular addons, the addon path is “C:\Users\Lluis\AppData\Roaming\ Foundation\2.75\scripts\addons”

Other thing, can you try to install the zip file normally (preferences -> addons -> ‘install from file’ button -> enable the addon) and tell me if you have the same problems?

BTW: I noticed that the download from Github must be unzipped and then Zip again just the py file and the template, if the addon is inside the addons folder, but inside a folder itself (for example ‘UE4-Tools-master’ folder) will be not detected

Well, I hope that some of this may help, other buttons can also save your time :wink:

I unzipped it to the addons folder in 2.75. So there’s the problem. It’s just the py file, the template, and whatever else was in the zip file sitting in the UE4 tools folder like you said. So I’ll look into fixing that. Also, do you know if we can import animations from UE4 using your tool? I haven’t tried but I thought I’d ask to see if there was already an answer. Thanks again.

Wel you can try to retarget the animations exported from UE4 in , for retarget the animations (mostly mocap data in bvh) I use MakeWalk (included on ’ tools’ from makehuman).

Also i think you can try the tools that come with , since the bones are the same (the deform bones) if you use the UE4 animations, just turn off Ik for the rig, constraints etc… to avoid any interference.

I hope that helps

Greetings!

I must say that this tool saved my life. Without it, I would have stopped using for my game, and idk what I would have done then. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

Hello!
Great work for this tool, my ask is , can i use the skeleton without the hero mesh then i put my own character on it and setting up, or is there a problem with
the automatic weights when i use it?

Hi Clatu, of course you can remplace the hero mesh with you character however I do not recommend use automatic weights. My recomendation: if is posible (the proportions are more or less the same), use the “Transfer Weight” tool that comes with for copy the weights from the hero mesh to you character. If is not possible (other proportions) , do it manually because automatic weights maybe pick some bones that not deform anything.

I hope that helps

Greetings!

Thanks for the reply, it works with other character and the automatic weights. Don’t know why it works now. I made a little settings in the pose mode then i adjust
the character and use the automatic weights. My character movements for real good and thanks for the tipp with that weight tool i don’t know that has it.
Is good for make speciality weights. This is very nice tool you have made thanks again for that.
Now i am start trying to export it into ue4.

Clatu

Nice plugin. But regarding license info on github it looks like the hole plugin is GPL without any exeptions (like the “MakeHuman output GPL exception”). This even contains UE4_Mannequin_Template.blend right? Doesn’t make this all output/exports based on your rig to some GPL-infected derivate (and as such not useable for Unreal 4)?

MakeHuman is the strange on here. Most programs do not classify art assets as code, which is what MakeHuman is doing. This is not something the GPL was designed for, and the legal ramifications for MakeHuman make it problematic to use in commercial projects. By default, data and code used by a program are not under the GPL license. This is why it is okay to use the GNU GCC compiler for commercial projects, as the compiler does not transfer the GPL to the DATA.

Now, if the .blend file is based on the UE 4 Mannequin, then it is thus covered by the UE Mannequins terms of use, not the GPL. As such, it should have the license for its use next to it in the folder. That license prevents relicensing in any project that is not based on Unreal Engine 4, if I remember correctly, and has some restrictions that should be followed with its use in terms of color on the Marketplace.

Hi! Just wanted to leave a message to say thank you so much for this great addon! Animation is definitely not one of my strong skills and this addon has made it so easy to make quick mock-ups of animations for testing, etc. Thank you again so much!

But many classify and protect their art assets additionally. GPL does not makes assets automatically free beer. Think of VSTi sound-plugins based on samples recorded from real instruments that allow you to compose music (that you own afterwards) but still deny you to grab the samples and create a rebranded plugin with your own name or dumb sample libary to sell. So I think MakeHuman did not do something uncommon here (they try to protect their asset in pretty much the same way as many others do).

If the plugin ever should be distributed as official plugin this mesh or the GPL would be a problem because they don’t fit together. Anyway most would replace the mesh (and I’m in doubt that there would be ever a game that uses that mesh). The rig on the other side is something different and well done.

Probably the non-github version of the plugin is better… it’s just the “free” one (and sometimes it’s making things worse if you ask too much ;)).

@BillDStrong - I’m pretty sure you can use the UE4 mannequin however you want. That has been the line for Epic since they introduced UE4 - basically any assets you get from them are yours…period (a huge change since UE3). You can make AND sell a game using any or all of the free assets included with UE4. You CANNOT sell a product on the Marketplace that has SOMEONE ELSE’S assets in it (Epic will not approve that). But, in fact, Epic will also NOT approve a product for the marketplace that DOES NOT include the Mannequin (apparently the Mannequin is now a required feature and all assets MUST work with him and/or his skeleton).

This is amazing. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this! it saves me so much time animating.

So far just a couple of things I noticed on the default template is weights on the chest portion needs a little tweaking on the new Mannequin. Also the modifier on DEF bone Spine 1 is attached to helper bone spine 3 instead of spine 1 making the rig a bit rigid at the spine. can be fixed easily by changing the modifier on spine_01 and change “Bone” from CS_spine_03 to CS_spine_01.

Again, thank you for this add-on! its brilliant!

Very awesome tool!!! This is amazing! Exporting a character to UE4 became so much easier now. Well done!

Wow, thanks for sharing…will surely try this today :smiley:

Lluis - This is fantastic work you’ve done here. Have you considered putting together a tutorial showing how to rig an existing character to the skeleton, or how to use the rig on a character with different proportions or rest pose?

In terms of changing the proportions, it’s really a pain because the CS_ bones have to match up exactly with their corresponding deform bones because you’re using “World Space to World Space” copy transforms. I’m not seeing an easy way to tweak the proportions of the rig. If you have any suggestions about how you handle that, I would love to hear it.

Long term, it would be amazing if there was some way to handle proportions the way Rigify does. Alternatively, a simpler option might be to add “Copy Location” and “Copy Scale” bone modifiers to the deform bones. It seems like that would let you just adjust the CS bones and have all the information copy over to the deform bones. Or maybe just a single “Copy Transforms” modifier would make more sense.

Anyway, just thinking out loud, but I’m really glad I found this.

EtherealSky](https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?31681-EtherealSky) I agree, I set up like that because I not put the control bone, but I agree, for animate the breathing is necessary. Any idea for the shape? I will update in the next version

Hi ****](https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?10518-) , thanks you :wink:

Initially I made this features (the mannequin etc) to make small animations to the mannequin in order to help in prototyping, and so to finish the script and check that everything works properly.

Yes I considered make a tutorial for show how replace the mannequin with a custom character.

I agree, is a pain change the proportions. The only way is editing the keleton (in edit mode) and selecting the bones in all bone layers in wireframe mode, then positioning the bones where needed. I’ve been thinking about some ways to make the job easier.

I think Aplly the modifers to deform bones don’t fix the problem, because for change the proportions, the skeleton must be edited in edit mode. btw, the deform bones already have a “copy rotation” from CS bones so you can try change the rotation in edit mode and see the effect .

At the start of this feature for the addon, I try modify the add-on “rigify” to generate the skeleton. In Rigifi, if I remember correctly you can load and save skeletons to generate them, but I have to see if it can be done or if I can learn something more now form riggify. Something like riggify seems the best option. Thanks I will take a look

Greetings!