Download

Adding custom render passes

Not sure if I’m posting to the right section, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum thread. I’m doing some R&D on new features, and would like to insert my own rendering pass somewhere in Unreal’s frame. I can’t find any documentation relating on how to do this, and am wondering if it’s even possible.

As an example of what I’d like to do (simple scenario), let’s say I have a bunch of custom quads I want to draw. I’d like to slot my own rendering pass in after post processing (but before UI) where I can manually render all of my items. Either through direct API calls (DX11/OpengGL/Whatever) or through Unreal’s API wrapped functions (assuming all functionality needed is there). For each item, I just need to issue the quad to draw (dynamic vertices with positions and uvs), set textures/shaders, and kick off a draw call. Similarly, can I call any sort of compute interface to do other custom work in said pass?

If anybody could point me to information or sample code, I’d be really grateful.

Thanks,

J

Yeah here, this should go over how to enable console commands that allow you to mess with shaders. That’s what it seems like you’ll need here.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Rendering/ShaderDevelopment/index.html

Thanks for the info! Not exactly what I was looking for, but I can probably achieve what I want with this.

Thanks!

Yeah that’s probably because I’m not sure you can hit all the marks you wanted, but that’s the best way to manipulate the process.

Edit: also Unreal uses DX11, just figured I’d let you know

Cool, thanks. I’ve worked with Unreal before (albeit version 3) and from a much lower level side, but it seems they’ve exposed far less in 4. Do you know if there’s an email I can use to contact Epic devs directly? Or do they not publish that?

Thanks again for the help, very appreciated!

I would imagine it to be like support@epicgames.com or something? I honestly don’t know, most of my epic related interactions occur on twitter tbh.