Action RPG Inventory System

Hello. I’m sure you’re familiar with this. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I’d super appreciate anybody directing me to a tutorial on how to correct myself. I tried so hard to follow the tutorial.

I am getting this same issue of it not finding inventoryUI or returning none even when I just open the sample file you provided, add my character bp and anim bp and follow the steps to make them the player. my character bp is already parented to equipment char bp

nobody seems to be using this or caring to reply anymore since the creator stopped supporting it and everyone else moved on

but here are some of the fixes for issues i found in my previous posts

firstly, addtorque in InventoryManagerComponent is not used anymore, you will get a warning when you cook so just use addtorqueinradians instead like ue suggests

next, the door. because the door is a child of usable actors, you have to go to usable actors and unprivate the variable - wasused.

to fix the ftext errors, just open all the files that provided the errors and save them again. i think you have to do them in order of the errors. they are mostly all the structs,enums and datatables

then migrate it to a new project

1 Like

How to: Add new stats (Armor/Strength/Dex/Intel, etc)

Hotbar doesn’t seem to work, am I missing something? I can drop something in there, but the item doesn’t get removed from the inventory, and cannot be moved back into inventory, it can be dragged onto the ground but that only removes it from the hotbar, doesn’t spawn the item. I cannnot interact with hotbar items either… is the hotbar not a separate inventory, like a belt? or is it just a representation of an object in the inventory and the interactions are broken?

For those playing at home: Client_Clear_Hotbar_Slot node was not being called anywhere, so I added it here in UseHotbarSlot function inside the InventoryManagerComponent. I think the hotbar now works as the creator originally intended. Just to clarify, the hotbar isn’t a separate container or inventory and only holds a reference to inventory items.

I actually prefer it the way it is right now. In the way it is now, you can have equipment references on the hotbar so you can quickly equip the items you want. Also the way you have it, if you use a potion it just immediately removes it from the hotbar.

I guess it all comes down to how you prefer it to work and adding in custom new logic.

Here is an expansion on your change.
As you can see i just hooked it up so if you have less than 1 of the item left, it clears the hotbar. This will clear equipment you hotbar as well should you use the hotbar to equip it.
Below that you can see multiple ways of hooking it up for your own needs. Should you want it to only clear the hotbar slot for potions, you can use that.
If you want it to only clear the hotbar for consumable type items, you can use that (i have 3 consumable types so i put in 3 for mine)

1 Like

Clients cannot [E] to interact with things, I am converting this to a top down and am using under mouse instead of line trace which probably caused the issue. Regardless running the line trace on the server is a bad idea performance wise. I did not check this before my change but now its working and I would suggest making this change.

I think a good idea for this template would be to make inventory, containers, and hotbar all extend from a single class so that the drag and drop functionality for everything would be unified.
The resize is a good idea if you were aiming for like a backpack/belts that resize.
To simplify it further the belt could just be the top line of the inventory and just have just that line visible at bottom of screen [I] open inventory animate it up and back down on close.
So belt capacity would just add to inventory size and adjust the width of the grid, there is no separate hotbar logic, 1-8 is just the inventory’s top line

Nice, good work

So if this is what i hope it is, its something that has been on my todo list for like 4 months lol. I have it so i have different camera angles that can be set but when i change it from the default camera view it messes up the trace so i cant ‘use’ to open items anymore since the trace is off.

I’ve been meaning to eventually change it so the player just hovers over the item with the mouse and upon right click it would ‘use’ to open the item (or use door, etc).

If thats what this does, awesome, you’ve saved me time :smiley:

edit: Got it working but used an under cursor for objects instead of visibility. Then i used an array of the Items channel

1 Like

Yeah the moment I saw that trace, I knew it would make people stumble, and since the server doesn’t know where the mouse cursor is it would likely fail when anyone tries to do similar.

I understand the marketplace creator doesn’t really support this and that it still makes them money, but they should maybe consider open sourcing the project so it can still be maintained by the community. It is a really great starting point for an inventory system and its such a shame to see it flounder in limbo.

I couldnt agree more. Its very sad. I have my game based around this inventory system with everything linking into it. I’m still learning from it as i go but its an amazing system and very well done. The support from the creator is the only downfall :frowning:

Btw, thanks for your share! I wasnt sure how i was going to go about changing up the looting portion so it was via mouse over. I put it off for so long but thanks to your share i now have it working exactly as i wanted it!

Here’s what i ended up with. Its setup following your example with the only difference being this image below. I have it so there’s a looting distance limit and it does its hit search for object type ‘Item’ (object being the main loot actor where its set as the ‘Item’ for its object type).
Good stuff!

I have no inventory interaction whatsoever. The inventory windows will not even recognise when the mouse is pressed. I’m just getting the mouse hover to fire some it’s breakpoints. I cannot pick up any items, I can’t use/click/drag and I can’t close the inventory windows on the X. If I drag in the windows the screen just moves as if the inventory were never open. None of the breakpoints in the posted pics are firing at all. The right mouse down rings false when pressed.

So this is all the default stuff with ARPG correct? You migrated it over and set it up accordingly and the interaction with all inventory windows just isnt working?
it sort of sounds like it doesnt know the widgets exist so i would assume the issue is setting up the hud interface and creating its reference

It is all default except for the player controller which I pasted the logic, functions and variables from the inventory controller. The widgets are all there. I even followed the implementation video.

Here is another shot of the player controller and the mouse over UI event…

I found what could possibly be the cause. The Inventory_Slot is not firing OnMouseEnter or IsSlotHovered when the mouse is over the widget. I have played around a bit but I still cannot see why it won’t trigger. I have checked the Action Inventory Setup and all settings are matching.

Do you have discord? It would be easier to ask questions immediately rather than slowly over this. I can offer help by comparing my controller to yours and seeing if there is something missing on your side vs mine. I may not be super well versed in this asset but ill do what i can anyways.
my discord: vyserage#7121