Accurately Texturing Tiles

Hello all. I’m making a copy of my bathroom in UE4. I have a basic model of the bathroom in UE4 with placeholder materials on the walls, floor and some of the assets. The problem is that I’m new to texturing and I’d like to ask for some advice with how to do certain objects. To start with, my wall tiles.
Below, you can see a picture of some of the problems I am facing. Apologies in advance for any misunderstandings, as I am very tired as I type this and may forget some details.

1. The tiles are uniform all the way to just before they reach the ceiling, and then they adopt a slightly different pattern. This prevents me from simply using one single tile texture and setting it’s coordinates in the editor so it repeats. What is the best way to reproduce this effect while maintaining quality?
  2. The tiles appear completely flat on the surface, but reflections appear wavy and distorted. How can I replicate this?
  3. Grouting is present at the top and bottom of the wall. Aside from -perfectly- aligning the texture on the wall, I’m not sure how to get this to appear.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You need to learn how to “uv map” in a 3D application and in UE4 how to use displacement maps and how to make materials. YouTube is your friend.

I already know how to do all these :slight_smile:

Not sure what you are asking. Just use regular tiling textures, and then model in a separate strip for the different pattern trim part. No need to over complicate your whole shader to support some trim, but you could use a mask I suppose. You would simply tile the small tiles more and make sure you paint the mask to line up with the desired tiling pattern.

“Just use regular tiling textures, and then model in a separate strip for the different pattern trim part.”
How to do this?

You said you understood modelling and UV mapping.

You need to cut the geometry. There are lots of ways to do that in 3dsmax such as using the ‘cut’ tool which offets the ‘plane’ where you can use the selected viewport (ie top) as the plane and you set the depth. Then you set a different material ID on those cut polys.

if you meant the other comment, you use the texture coordinate node in UE4 and set tiling to greater than 1. Then you hand paint a black and white mask to blend in your other texture. Its up to you to make it match.

Right, what about the grout and the wave effect?

the warblyness would be a macro normal map. just use nvidia photoshop filter to make bumpy very blurry normal from clouds.

The grout I’m afraid is a much bigger topic. manually aligning is your best bet for now. There are solutions there but they are much more difficult than anything else in this thread, involving processing assets a certain way with certain scripts etc.

May i suggest http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag Toolbag is great for making textures, it will auto update the files after you save so you can see your progress, Supports PBR spec or metalness. they also have a good page on how to use pbr http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory and an example http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

I’m using Substance. I’m not having too many problems with the texturing itself, it’s just the grout now, that I have to manually align. It’s a pain in the ***.

I could see if you were making a lot of content, but for a single bathroom I can’t imagine that being more than a few minutes aligning the UVs and tiling of a few surfaces. back in the day we used to be very careful about lining up brick textures on BSP and it can indeed be a pain when doing a larger level, but for small rooms its no big deal.

You could always chamfer the corners and make a decal like grout texture but it will be just as much work if not more.

Ive decided that I’ll extrude the floor and wall meshes inwards a few fractions of a centimeter and assign it a different material. See how that goes.