Download

About Portal effect: who did they keep it playable with so many renders of the same scene?

Hi,

In this screenshot extracted from Portal 1, the scene seems rendered multiple times.

Portal_Premier_Portail.jpg

Assuming there is no doubled geometry to fake a render somewhere, I would say there is:

• One render for the player camera.
  • One render for the orange portal on the foreground.
  • One render for the orange portal on the background.
  • One render for the blue portal.
    So: 4 renders to composite this shot.
    In UE4 terms, you would need 1 main camera and 3 scenecapture2D actors with same resolution or a bit lower.

When you use just 1 scenecapture this way, in UE4, framerate drops.
This game is from 2007 and it supposed to be made with a 3D engine from previous generation, so less performant than UE4.
So: if such a scene need 4 renders, how did they keep it playable?
Did they really use a render each time it seems so or did they combine renders and doubled geometry?

And how would you keep it playable in UE4?

Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question but I have read an article ages ago about this and the devs said that solving this and solving the physics was the hardest part for them, so I can imagine it required some magic from the programmers.

Yes, I guess so.
If a magician read this post, I’d like to have the basic concepts behind his tricks.

As much as I would like to be, I am not a magician either. I did find an page which explains the basics behind rendering the portals, (it’s basically developer comments and a few people expanding on them)

haha I was literally talking about this nice find :smiley:

I did implement portals in UE4 a while ago using the same technique (Stencil Buffer) but did not get recursion going. The interesting part there is

Once I get my portal code back to where it was before I misplaced the code, I will implement the above.

Portal Videos:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PY0hQI64CIo
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Of3JcoWrMZs

@outrospection: thanks, very interesting.
Exactly the kind of informations I was looking for.

@Galaxyman2015: pretty cool videos!
You think recursion effect could be achieved in UE4?
Reading comments and your answers on your videos, I’m not sure your were using a scencapture actor to do it. Did you?

Hi GalaxyMan2015,

would be awesome if you could help us with the source code modification.
I really need this for our current project.

ps. I’ve sent you a message on skype yesterday