Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Able v3.62 submitted, notes below.

Able v3.63 submitted, notes below.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to able and I’m just following the Let’s Party tutorial and I’m getting this error:

PIE: Error: Blueprint Runtime Error: “Accessed None trying to read property AbilityComponent”. Blueprint: BP_XHoverCarPawn Function: Execute Ubergraph BP XHover Car Pawn Graph: EventGraph Node: Activate Ability

You need to pass in the GetAbilityObjectFromClass into the Ability Node on your CreateAbilityContext node. Right now you are passing in a null Ability.

Sorry I think the screenshot was out of date, the GetAbilityObjectFromClass node is connected to the Ability Node connected. Made a new project using UE4.26.1 to demonstrate.

I don’t see an Able Ability Component on your character. Make sure you add that.

Thanks, that was it – I mistakenly added the ability component as a variable instead of a component. Thanks for the assistance!

Able v3.64 submitted, notes below:

1 Like

Able v3.65 submitted, notes below:

1 Like

Hello, was wondering if/when you expect to have a 5.0 version available? Thanks

Hi, what’s the best way to use make an ability that picks a random branch ability to go to? Let’s say for example I make a ability with 2 branch tasks in it that go to different abilities. What’s the best way to randomly pick which one it branches to? I’m sorry that this sounds so simple. I wanted to do this logic in the ability instead of in my character

No plans just yet. There’s no way for me to distribute a 5.0 version (Epic doesn’t officially support it yet for plugins). So, it’ll likely be a bit.

You can use a Dynamic Override on the Branch Ability to randomly pick one. Just setup a list of Abilities somewhere (could be in a subsystem, on the Ability itself, etc) and then use a random stream to pick one. The problem you’ll have there is to sync the random across the wire if your game is multiplayer. That is FAR more complex and would likely require a hash or something that you can reliably create on the client / server.

Able v3.66 submitted, notes below.

1 Like

For abilities with branch in ai behavior trees, is it possible to make the ai wait until the last branched ability is done finishing before moving on the next task?

There is an “Is Playing Ability” Decorator you can use to block logic until all Abilities are played.

Able v3.67 submitted, notes below:

1 Like

Able v3.70 submitted, notes below:

1 Like

Hello! Awesome plugin. I’m having trouble with running a Trace By Channel in the Ability Blueprint Graph. I’m not getting debug output showing, and when I do the step debugger I’m always getting false on the Hit, even if I was facing a wall, but the same nodes work in the Character blueprint with debug visuals and the hit information. I thought it might be something about the networking settings, but it is the same on server and client; only thing I can think is if I have some context settings set wrong?

I think I might be going about it wrong. I tried doing a RaycastQuery w/ target type Location and then am making an Able Custom Task “TeleportTask”, but I don’t think I can get the Location Target in the custom task (only the Target Actors from the Context). Is that Location exposed to Custom Tasks?

I noticed that your FPS example runs the animations at the raycast query target’s location, but it doesn’t show the exact process of getting that going. It would be neat if the wiki had a bit more information on the Location Target type too :slight_smile: