Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Another question…How I can implement hit reaction like that - YouTube
How get hit location with your plugin???

Go to the Ability Editor Settings and you can set your pawn to be rotated by 90 degrees on the Z axis.

You can do ray casts if you want specific hit locations and then use the “On Raycast Event” call to pass that location to the hit enemy and have them react somehow. It’s not a trivial thing to support so Able doesn’t support bone-accurate hit locations. You can set up just simple -> On Damaged -> Play this Ability which does a grunt / animation. That’s what I tend to do in my projects since I don’t need bone-accurate animations.

Works great…tks

I want to do some movement with my melee abilities (with root motion animations) so, I need to add MoveTo Task…How to use animation with movement???

I could do this enable root motion on animation sequence…after create an animMontage…after on Animation Task I check the Play On Server…it’s right on this way???

Hi , I have been trying to figure out this issue for a while now and have no clue what I’m doing wrong. With my setup I cannot ever get Has Ability Animation to be true. I have a quick and reliable repro that you should be able to do on your end. My guess is its not finding my state machine or state and failing silently, but this is a complete guess.

When I test verbose on the animation task, it seems to complete successfully, but the animation will never play.

Here is the repro: (essentially follow your tutorial for node based animations with the advanced movement system)

1. Download Advanced Movement system v3 (free this month)
  2. Create project with Advanced Movement System
  3. Install/Activate Ability plugin with new project
  4. Create Ability with Ability Animation Node animation
  5. Setup Ability node on Mannequin_AnimBP
  • Navigate into Main State Machine

• New state transitions to/from Locomotion

• Setup Event graph Boolean for transitions

1. Open MannequinCharacter blueprint and add input and ability context
  2. Set your ability class variable to your created ability.
  3. Test: Notice no animation plays

Additional validation of issue:

1. MannequinCharacter OnTick extend parent class tick to not break animations
  2. Check has Has ability animation function print something if its true
  3. Test

OR

1. Open Mannequin_AnimBP where you set the transition Boolean add a branching conditional to print something if Has Ability Animation is true
  2. Test

OR

1. Open Mannequin_AnimBP
  2. Navigate to Main State Machine
  3. Test with player in debug filter and notice the transition never happens when using the ability.

Regardless of validation method, Has Ability Animation is never true even when the rest of the ability functions.

Thank you for your time and I would really appreciate any pointers here.

-Jordan

Okay, I started with a fresh project and I’m realizing now it’s mostly just visual bugs I’ve been having. Sorry for the confusion, I ended up getting Spawn Actors and Collision Queries to work; it just wasn’t displaying in the animation window so I couldn’t get the settings right. I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow so I won’t be able to send you anything about it so I thought I’d make a quick video detailing all the bugs I’m having:

You can use root motion. That’s likely the better approach than MoveTo (which isn’t really meant for that).

I can’t guarantee compatibility with other plugins, but I’ll check things out this weekend and report back. Thanks for the detailed repro steps, that goes a long way.

Thanks I’ll watch this and see if anything sticks out.

Sorry vimeo sucks, try this link:

@ , last time i used able it was pretty stable ( no pun intendend). Now i can´t even play the ability. I hit play - nothing happens. The UI also feels worse than before. But my main question is, when can i use able for my projects? I tested the 4.22 one, perhaps it was too early ? Are you trying on fixing the custom task recompiling issues soon ?

@ The new new ABLE is runing under what engine versions? I’ve seen it in this threat however I cant find it. Do you guys have a dsicord channel?

I got the crash again while working on my project. This is seen at the end of the crash report text file:
Can’t find file ‘/Script/AbleEditor’
Can’t find file for asset ‘/Script/AbleEditor’ while loading NULL.

I followed an old solution you posted by adding

// Purge any NULL graphs
FBlueprintEditorUtils::PurgeNullGraphs(Blueprint);

In the specified location, but no luck.

I have the same troubles that you when trying to disable camera and collision cylinder, etc;
About the tracing targets…you need to enable this in timeline menu and make sure that tracing query are running one the client too. Only on server don’t show it.

Check your output log. Are you sure your character has an Ability Component? The times when I’ve seen an ability not play it’s because of one of two issues: 1.) You have a channeling condition which isn’t valid when you preview (i.e. some key press), or 2.) You don’t have an Ability Component and adding one dynamically is not working well (for whatever reason, still debugging that one).

Also Custom Task compilation should be fixed as it’s passing my local testing. If it’s not, please give me a repro or you can upload a sample project that shows the issue here: Dropbox

Able always works for the latest 3 versions, so 4.20, 4.21, 4.22. I can’t support older versions unfortunately. There is a player discord channel (I believe I link to it in the first post), but I’m not normally on there. Here is the best place to reach me.

You can try something. Open up Able.uplugin and set the LoadingPhase for AbleEditor to “PreDefault”. That’s fixed that error before, but it causes some other issues with Able Editor Settings not being able to find game classes (since it loads things pre-game binary). But, if that fixes things then I’ll find a work around for the other.

Clicking the Show Collision / Show Camera options in the view drop down in the Ability Editor isn’t hiding those? That code hasn’t changed so I’m a bit shocked it’s broken.

Yup this fixed it! Thanks so much.

Fun. Okay, then I’ll find a way to fix the Able Editor Settings. If you see null classes in your allowed classes drop down, that’s why.

EDIT: Testing a workaround for the config issue, and found the issue with camera/character collision not respecting the options. Fixes incoming.

No. When I go on Ability Editor, click in TIMELINE menu and clicking in this checkbox…don’t change nothing in my preview scene.

Other issue that I see is: When select an animation task and try to change the animation…this don’t change…need to delete the task and add this again with the right animation.

Yea, I found the issue with the checkbox for Camera/ Collision. I have a fix coming.

As long as you save the Ability (which happens automatically when you try to play an Ability), it should change the Animation during the preview. I’ll check that locally as well, but I’d look at your log for any weird errors.

How I can make hit reactions??? Like frontal hit, back hit, left and right hit…