Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into this and let you know what I find.

EDIT: @Hitsugen, Looks like the call into PlayerInput that condition uses wasn’t working as expected. I’ve gone ahead and changed the logic up a bit under the hood so now it uses the key time down and allows you to specify a time window (in seconds) that defines what “Recently Pressed” means, so it’s a bit more flexible as well. v1.4 hasn’t gone out yet so I’m hoping I can sneak this change in, otherwise it’ll be in v1.5.

Hey @,

Thanks for the help. Using the declaration below worked:

TArray<TSubclassOf<UAblAbility>> ActivatedAbilities;

Now, i’m having some trouble with the Let’s Party tutorial. First, finding the asset files was a challenge (there’s a showcase link on the Marketplace page). My problem happens when trying to add the particle effect to the Play Particle Effect task (the same is true for the Play Sound). The field where the asset is dropped in is grayed out with the message “Editing this value in a Class Default Object is not allowed.” Is there a configuration step that I missed, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Yea, that’s a bug that came in with 4.15.x somehow. It’s fixed in the 1.4 update that should be going out soon.

Thanks for checking it out :slight_smile:

Just a heads up, as of v1.4, you should really be on 4.15.2 if you are using 4.15. Epic is starting to require 4.15.x plugins to use 4.15.2 if they have Mac as a target platform due to an XCode issue that requires 4.15.2 to build properly. v1.4 of Able hit a slight road bump due to that new requirement, but it’s been submitted so assuming Mac is building again it should go out hopefully in the next day or so.

Locally, this didn’t require any code changes so if you are on any other platform and using 4.15.0/1 - it should be fine. But, just know I’ve had to update my local environment and so that’s what I’ll be testing on going forward.

Another heads up:

Right now, if you inherit from an Ability that contains Tasks - you’ll get an error trying to save it due to the Parent’s tasks not being available/marked as private. The work around is to simply delete the Tasks and re-create them, but that’s less than ideal. There’s a fix in v1.4 that will fix that issue and simply mark the Parent’s Tasks as being public once they are needed by an outside Ability. This means you’ll need to save the Parent Ability again (it’ll show as dirty), but then everything will work as expected.

I don’t believe Epic is in during the weekend, so hopefully you’ll see v1.4 early next week (assuming Mac/IOS decide to play nice on their build machine).

@
Whoa 30% off!
How long is the sale going to be live?

A week. It’s my thanks to everyone for voting for Able in the Community Interest Poll (took a bit longer to get the sale setup, but now it’s live). :slight_smile:

thank you so much!!!

This was typed in “all caps”, but the forum filter forces it to be in all lower case???

just a quick question… I’ve finally gotten through the first and second tutorials, however i’m still can’t figure out how to determine whether a character has been damaged so i can have the damage show up.

There’s just a generic “On Take Any Damage” event for Actors in Unreal that you can override in Blueprints (or C++). It’ll pass the damage amount and other information. If you download the Showcase or Shooter Example games I have up on the store page, you can open up the Target Mannequin Blueprint and see exactly how I have it set up.

@ Thanks

Version 1.4 should now be live.

@ I already asked this at the unreal marketplace but I wanted to mention it here. We are currently building a game where you play a magician in third person with free aiming. Paragon would be a good example of how the game plays. Could you show us a video that demonstrates a more advanced attack spell? For example let particle effects follow an animation (like charging up a fireball) and at the right moment shoot it in the aim direction.

If Able is capable of something like that it’s an instant buy for us.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi ya :smiley:
Just bought your software and setting up new Hack N Slash
Just wondering How i can stop char moving while animation is playing on an ability?
I had this problem before, Was it a valid command or something?

Btw I done all this before but the slow way.
This makes the combos setup so much faster now :smiley:

Thanks

New Tutorial up, Chain Lightning:

There’s a couple ways you can do that.

The easiest is just to check if your character is playing an Active Ability (literally, call IsPlayingAbility() on the Ability Component either in C++ or in Blueprints) and then ignore input movement.

or

Create a Gameplay Tag called something like “Character.Root” and use a similar setup. This option would give you per Ability control over which can move while executing and which cannot, but the 1st option may be the easiest if you don’t ever want someone moving and casting an Ability.

Hey Wurlox,

Check out the Chain Lightning video I just posted. I made sure to show you your request (and probably butchered your name 2 out of 3 times). The free aiming 3rd person thing I’m uncertain on, it may just work with the Camera Context Target Type I briefly mention in the video. I honestly haven’t tried that specific use case yet. My thought is if it isn’t supported already, it’s fairly trivial to add. I’ll dive into it this weekend and see if it can make the next update (if it requires any extra work).

Cheers man :smiley:

I started working on my Old melee combos now. It is so much easier then doing it blueprint way when i had to use a lot of switching int nodes haha.
I even set it up so it branched out so you pressed 1 it will do one move and press 2 and you do another move for example.

I am making a HnS Game Involving the elements Gods. But its so tedious when working on your own. :frowning:

I using Character Creator and few other softwares to do characters and a whole lot of animations and particles to make it look good.
Just think DmC and Darksiders style stuff with more casting and big abilities!

I got AI Behaviour Toolkit also, so gonna try and incorperate that in with your plugin too :smiley:

Jesse

Cool! Let me know how well it works with other tools, I’ve never tried the AI Behavior Toolkit. And yea, branching melee combat is tons of fun. :slight_smile:

@ Thank you for the new showcase video. That looks really good so far. If you can dig into the third person matter like you mentioned that would be nice. However we will be soon purchasing your asset as we think we can tweak it for third person purposes. What’s really important for us is the free aiming system. For that we need the collision check on the particles. I’m not quite sure if that is possible with your system yet. In the trailer there is a showcase of a fireball spell that explodes on impact so I think that’s possible and maybe I just didn’t see it yet.

Edit: Ok just checked again. The rocket launcher example is exactly what we need as it seems. :wink:

As soon as I get my hands on this I will try to rebuild some spells we already did. Looking forward to that. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Wurlox