A Paradigm Shift happening in the Marketplace...

I’m a code-centric Game Dev with a small budget and no Art Dept. I purchase assets from the Marketplace and I have no shame. However, I desire Entities in my game to appear unique in someway. I believe high quality Assets designed to be customized can achieve this. Thus, I only purchase modular asset packs. Modular Architecture & Environmental assets are a life saver. However, I’ve been patiently waiting for 3D Asset Authors to release customization-ready 3D Entities such as Characters, Weapons, Vehicles, etc.

For over a decade, I’ve been advocating for high quality, modular, interchangeable, extensible Assets in Marketplaces that sell content to the masses. FINALLY… Content Authors are hearing my pleads. Content Author’s like Ironbelly Studios is setting the bar high with assets like this. We’re also starting to see new collaborations between Artist and Programmers like (RBrown & Nightasy) and (Almighty_ gir & Kashaar) Teaming-up to create Modular 3D Assets and Blueprint-based Assembly Systems for complete plug & play Content Management Systems.

I predict other Content Artist producing supplemental Parts Packs compatible with pre-existing assets for such systems. Even if its a specialized/stylized asset, supplemental add-ons would help Devs like me. Modular Entities + Supplemental Parts Packs + Embedded-able Assembly Applications = A Paradigm Shift in what and how content is produced for the Marketplace.

I truly appreciate Content Authors who understand Game Developers like me. So Please take my money. Thank you.

I agree 100%

The first hurdle to get over is merchants have to give up the idea that they are selling art but rather off the shelf solutions as being a time saver source. The tide is changing as the “source” is finely listening to their potential client base by selling the things asked for and not using how hard it was to make as a key selling point.

I am a freelance developer with a very small budget and I am going to create my first game using Unreal Engine 4 in the shortest possible time (I am currently completing my first app to be released on iOS). I hope to complete it in 4-5 months, at least that is the plan. On the marketplace I am probably going to buy modular packs only to save time while I will be designing my own characters and weapons for the game, still if many modular packs were available at not too expensive prices I could consider some to quickly add characters, weapons and so on.
So I agree completely. The marketplace needs more good modular packs to help freelance developers quickly design and assemble more unique content for their games or any other project using UE4.

“I’m a code-centric Game Dev with a small budget and no Art Dept.” – couldn’t have said it better myself :smiley:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the policy is when using content made by someone else that uses marketplace packs from providers such as PolyPixel, etc.? Is that permissible?

Ha, Ha Ha. :smiley: I’m the extreme opposite of a code-centric Game Dev. :cool:
Since I am an art-centric, very tiny Game Dev almost dead with no Code Dept.
Maybe one day, humbly speaking, I can to do a little of everything very efficiently like Leonardo Da Vince.

Per Epic’s Markeplace FAQs:
What can users do with my content once they purchase and download it?

[INDENT=2]All content sold on the Marketplace is licensed to the buyer (who may be either an individual or company) for the lifetime right to use the content in developing an unlimited number of products and in shipping those products. The buyer is also licensed to make the content available to employees and contractors for the sole purpose of contributing to products controlled by the buyer.

Each such product built using content purchased on the Marketplace must be a standalone creative work (such a game, simulation, or video) in which content is merely a component and not the primary focus. For example, it may not be a content pack for distribution to engine users.
Can users modify, resell or transfer content once they purchase it?[/INDENT]

Users are free to modify any content they purchase from the Marketplace.
[INDENT=2]All items sold are non-transferable, and users cannot sub-license the content for further redistribution, whether or not they have modified it. Users cannot buy your content and then distribute it to other developers to use in other projects, for example by listing it on the Marketplace or another store themselves.[/INDENT]

With regards to ‘Supplemental’ Content Providers producing Parts Packs compatible with other ‘Primary’ Content Provider’s Assets, the supplemental parts would be completely new replacement or Add-on parts. Modification to Primary Parts would require licensing between Primary Content Provider and Supplemental Content Providers to avoid infringement. However, with completely new parts I don’t see any rules preventing Supplemental Content Providers from distributing them without agreements with Primary Content Provider’s.

The Catch 22 is for a Supplemental Part to be of any value, the Primary part must be acquired. Thus, in my opinion, it is mutually beneficial for Supplemental Content Providers to work out agreements to bundle their assets Primary Content Providers, and Primary Content Providers encourage Supplemental Parts production from Other Vendors. The more supplemental parts available for a particular Asset, the more versatile and in-demand that asset can become.

I would have to agree which is why I’ve been banking on my ability program procedural content and programmer’s art taking the minimalist approach.

I predict in the very near future, we’ll see ‘Asset Modding’ services become more prevalent in game dev communities. There’s an opportunity here, for Artist to modify or extend on store-bought content, especially modular content.

Hey All!

I just got my first package approved on the Marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/mushroom-monster-pack-pbr

My “Infinity PBR” (http://www.InfinityPBR.com) is ALL ABOUT customization. The first step is the Texture Customization. Using Substances on steroids, the goal is that you can change almost every aspect of the textures, including replacing the default looks with your own substances and continuing to modify them (damage, dirt, HSL/C etc) after.

Next I also include Mesh Morphing through non-animated Blend Shapes. I’m still not sure if this works in Unreal as it does in Unity, but most of my characters already have this included in their .fbx and I would expect it to work…I just don’t know for sure yet.

I’m an Unreal noob, in the end!

But i also provide Sound Effects (often with multiple versions and layers with the intent for runtime randomization or engine customization), and we’re working on Composed music for each pack too (many already have music). Each track will be featured with a “Composers Mix”, but also include all the layers in individual tracks so you can mix your own tunes. Often this creates brand new sounds that really don’t sound like the original at all. Again, I’m not sure if this works in Unreal as it does with Unity.

Finally, I provide Concept Art, with the intent that indie developers would want to use it on their websites, steam pages and such. Whenever possible, the photoshop images (3 ultra high res images per model) are layered for customization of colors, but also for turning on/off wardrobe and body parts and particles.

Anyway…First post here I think, but I agree with the OP and as a non-artist indie developer myself, I created this project to fill that void.