A Message to Everyone Attempting to Make Games

Making a game take a lot more than 12 hours, you know ^^

The really good programmers want to works with very good and experienced designer, you know… Great idea don’t make great game, a lot of work on great ideas does… If you don’t want to work (or can’t…), you can’t make a game, seriously.

Sound advice. Hard work, self discipline, passion, perseverance and patience are extremely important in game dev. It’s too easy to get put off in the beginning, but once you get stuck into it and dedicate time to creating your project you’d otherwise spend on playing games, watching movies/series, browsing forums, getting into pointless arguments over the net you start to realize what you’re capable of achieving.

Watching videos is incredibly important. Small indie developers have to be multi-talented to make up for lack of heads. I’m part of a 3 man team and do the level design, basic programming as well as 3D modelling. I taught myself programming through reading books and messing around with open source games code (Doom, Wolfenstein 3D), 3D modelling through dozens of hours of watching Youtube videos/taking online courses and level design through experience with messing around with old games map editors as a kid. You may not require much skills if you’re the dude in the suit sitting in a multi-million dollar mansion that can fund his ideas, but for us small guys, it’s extremely important to constantly improve as many skills as possible to further our knowledge. It may not seem fun at first for many (I enjoy learning) but it’s just something you have to do, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. I never believed I could ever make 3D models or even make the most basic code until I got stuck into it.

What a motivation thread… a bit long but i guess it is correct. +1

Don’t invest your lifetime building an entertainment empire; your grandchildren gonna ruin it anyway with all the pop culture nonsense of their era.

Thanks for discussing things here guys! I’m glad this is still getting traction, and you can all garner at least a little bit from it.

Right now i am working on a open world game myself. It is a huge and downright impossible task for one person. But whenever i feel down or simply being lazy i ask my friends at discord what they are doing. Since they are also making some ambitious game, when i see their hard work i always get motivated and start working on my game.
I dunno about you but i have only one game idea in mind for a very long time. and i am learning stuff just to make this. I found that when you make something that will wow your friends that is the moment you can appreciate the amount of work you have put into it, and you will be hooked in.

Also it is good to be a part of discord community where other people can appreciate your work and give you feedback, beta test and even help you when you are stuck.

WE are making games not attempting it :stuck_out_tongue:
Make your dreams a reality. What 1 man can do another can do. It just takes time to learn :slight_smile:

I sometimes also think about creating games and find myself in a mental dead end. I can not think of anything, and I start flipping through the Internet in search of ideas for games that would help me come up with something of my own.

Man, thank you for sharing the story with us, it really touched me…

One of the things I’ve released too is that, we should be more open to the idea of buying marketplace assets/ hiring freelancers, basically realizing that we should not always reinvent the wheel especially when creating a big game as a solo developer.

Hope to see your ‘dream’ game in the future comes alive :slight_smile: