A Message to Everyone Attempting to Make Games

Thanks, 94.

Yeah soon enough.
Hopefully.

I’ve begun to start some stuff for it.

Maybe in a months time.

[/QUOTE]

That’s not too long. Hope to see some of it!

That’s actually not a bad idea, I’ll definitely consider a phone call over an animated character that talks in the future :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, if there are any weaknesses for me in the Unreal Engine 4, it’s the facial animation with lip synch.

Well, in that case, I’m glad I could help haha.

Yeah, you need to be SO precise and it really gets hard to make it look convincing.

There was a point where I considered using FMVs, but you need a lot of stuff to get those going so I just settled on the cell-phone, radio idea.

Soon enough.

This is a natural part of the creative process - you get stuck, or burn out, and start looking for other ways fulfill that creative hunger. Honestly the best thing to do isn’t to force yourself to work on a single ‘dream’ project, it’s to have many dream projects and bounce between them. When your personal finances aren’t on the line (you’re not working on that game to put food on the table) - whatever keeps you working is always the best, even if it isn’t always the same project.

The same thing even happens in large studios working on huge AAA projects. You come on to a new project, it’s new and exciting, you can’t wait to add X and Y to the game. You stay late without anyone asking because everything you do has to be perfect. A year later you’re bored, you don’t care anymore, you leave at 5pm on the dot, and you just want to move on to something new and exciting. By the time the game ships, you’ve convinced yourself it’s garbage and people are going to hate it. you’re off to the next project, and the cycle starts over!

Thank you Jason sharing your thoughts and mind about being / becoming a developer, hopefully many will take a moment to read and think about it.

As I’m 31 by now, I started learning C/C++ as I was a young gun, but in the past wasn’t able to realize my passion into programming the professional way…anyway, now I’ve learned a lot of things, some of them good some of them bad, just maybe same like you…but today I’m happy that I never stopped learning and taking hands on projects.

I actually like your multiple projects idea.

Currently I’m running 3 (one for work, one for fun, and one because it’s the one I’ve always wanted to make) and honestly… it’s been going well.

Whenever I’m lacking confidence I complete something in one of the other games and my confidence is lifted again.

As for your other statements, I agree with you.

But, I guess that’s not really a bad thing.

If one does have the need for a new project at least it shows they have a passion in their work if not the project.

My pleasure.

Thank you for your kind words.

I’m just happy that you are happy with what you doing, that’s what really matters.

I have a couple of mods that I make with Morrowind and Oblivion.
I have put thousands of hours into them and they are continuing mods I am working on since the day Morrowind and later Oblivion were released.
I created new landworlds and have added thousands of models and NPCs. Each NPC has routines and AIs to interact with each other. I have never had anyone play or even see my mods.
I’m a recluse who lives alone without friends or family so that’s why I can spend thousands of hours with my mods.
My enjoyment comes from having a mod where I’m just a traveler and spectator to the variety of what years of adding to my mods has come too.
I always find places and pathways, caves and dungeons and people and things going on that I had completely forgotten that I had created over the years. Not only that but my NPCs get into scraps and fights among themselves - even when I’m not around to see them. I never know what to expect when I “visit”.
I can spend hours sitting in a pub watching all the action. Sometimes a bar fight - fists only as I have only allowed a few NPCs (guards&hunters) to carry weapons - breaks out that can involve 20 or more characters getting knocked out running out the bar and have a dozen or more patrons chase him outside where even more people may get involved. No one dies just knocked unconscious… I love my NPCs and they may get knock down in a fight, ravaged by a bear, fall off a cliff or beaten by bandits but they always recover.
I carry no weapons and have no skills or powers so I am completely at the mercy of whatever forgotten dangers I have added over time.
I have dungeons and cave systems loaded with goodies - I love clutter and have thousands of items making every room, garden, store, pub and area completely different and unique.
Between the Morrowind and Oblivion I use about 60 gb of assets.
I am very new to Unreal Engine and am hoping I can get as into it as much as I do with M&O.

My point of posting this is to point out that (to me) making games is a million times more fun than playing them.
To any young person I say learn as much as you can about graphics, 3dmodeling, animation and play writing and all that goes with the digital future.

Knowledge + Energy = success.

First off, those mods actually sound really cool.
Have you ever considered releasing them?

Secondly, you made a really good point.
Developing a game is just…great.

Do you have any plans for a game with UE4 or are you just looking to get into it?

Your equation is a good one, by the way, but I would like to add one thing in there if it’s alright with you.

Knowledge + Energy + Passion = Success

Never give up,

Passion is a MUST. I’m sure that all employers alike would rather hire the programmer that programs in his free time at home along with at work than the programmer that programs at work, and leaves their talent at work.

Very motivating thread! I wish everyone success in doing what they love. =)

Thanks Kitatus!

Glad you liked it!

I couldn’t agree more.

Thank you.

Likewise!

Hello Jason, interesting though ^^
I, as many if us, had to deal with this kind of things but I found something very useful in this process : a team.
I don’t say that you have be part of a big team but if you work on your project with 2 or 3 other people, it changes everything !

When one of us are tired / demotivated / bored / unsecured, the other can help him to go through these bad times.
Seeing other people works is a great motivation !
How can I be the lazy one while the sound designer just made this great music ?
I can’t sleep while the animator wait for my rig to work with…

I did the cycle you describe many times but now, I work with some friend and I feel immune to it :slight_smile:
Even if I still the main worker on my project and spend much more time on it than every one else, the fact I involve other ones on my project forces me (in the good way) to work every day.

BTW : He propose a much complex equation than yours (seven unknown !) but his point is really interesting :

Do you guys ever wonder how Walt Disney did it? He only ever followed his passions, laid everything on the line and look what happened! He even mortgaged his house as an asset to help cover costs for developing animated movies. He had to of been the luckiest guy on earth. Every time I hear his story I get motivated to keep working towards my goals. Part of his success was due to his passion. For him I don’t think it was “work” because he loved what he did. I mean it’s work, but it’s a labor of love, which is different.

I’d like to add the whole idea of pursuing your dreams, with a touch of practicality though. I too, like many of you, work with passion on my “dream” game, however I have come to a point where I realized that I will likely never finish my project in a reasonable amount of time. So lately I have been working some over time at work, so I can put some extra money into my game. I outsourced some of the work to somebody who is more skilled than me. While I am still focusing on the overall game design (level design, character modeling, game mechanics, programming) I am paying somebody to do the animations for me because that is my weak point. I am still putting together the overall look and feel of the game though. I have to say, it feels so good to know that is getting done by a professional, and I can take the time to focus on the overall game design. I finally feel like there is light at the end of tunnel and it is liberating. As compared to always being frustrated because I can never get enough done in one sitting to feel like I’m making a dent. If you can afford too, outsource some of the more unpleasant work (whichever that is for you).

That is what Walt did in a manner speaking, he found the right talent and delegated the work. He even said, that to make your dreams a reality you need people to do it. So if you are one of those lone wolf types that work a lone, consider outsourcing some of the work.

I always wanted to make games. Ever since I’m young. Every time I play a game that can build your own level, I’m very exited. When u can control the storyline, the settings, the outcome, the endings, the cheat codes, the mods, is all very exiting to me. But I never went into building a game because is too complicated for me and I don’t have a powerful computer. Recently, I got a good idea for a game and I decided to start making it. But I have 0 knowledge and this industry have change so much. Nonetheless, I will make this happen!

I don’t have the money to get a degree in University nor do I have the time to watch 12 hours video tutorial on youtube. But I will finish the game regardless. I will search everywhere for someone to be able to help me built the game. I go out meet new people, searching Google and join Facebook group to find a partner, looking for talented artist on Youtube, etc. Finally I am here, at this community.

A friend once told me, u don’t need good skills to make game, u need good ideas. There are many programmer out there who’s really good (some even built game engines) but have no great ideas for a game. So, when both of them meet, great things can happen.