A Boy and His Kite - Jun 11 & Jun 12

I’m nearly at the download finish point on my wifi hotspot, Nearly 3 days to get this mother downloaded. I KNOW it’s not wasted time or effort on my part and would just like to add to what our community members have said above, Thanks Epic, Appreciated.

I’ve had terrains near to this size running in UE4 for 4-5 months playing with what’s best, Given suggestions to the Epic code devs how things could be done to get to this point for nearly 1 year back , And they listened. You don’t get that as an Indie very often.

This was an old test before 50% of new stuff was even working, Cant wait now to get cracking on content with the new capabilities the hard working folk at epic have given us.

v=ZSg6986FjcY

Once ive checked the new Terrain material from this and some of the AI stuff ill have things to show within days that even work on my little test bed i5 2666 ghz, 4 GB ddr3 ram, AMD HD 5850 card which was used with these test videos. Also as using full screen res 1080p real time video recording also took 10-20 frames of the real spped in editor, not even running in stand alone game mode.

Unlike this shabby video u posted the kite demo is really mindblowing when it comes to blending the differences between reality and video games.

From the very beginning you can see it’s a scene made by a computer. There wasn’t a scene which was nearly close to the kite demo.

I’ve showed the video to someone who is not familiar with video games and that guy directly responded with “what’s that video game?”.

After that I’ve showed him the Kite demo and he said the only thing which revelas it wasn’t a real life taken video is the boy (and maybe the deers).

I’m pretty pleased with UE4 so you can stick with that other engine if you like.

Keep shaking that fist at the sky!

I bet your passion will show in your games (If you ever get around to making any :wink: ).

hi guys/gals,

once more please keep things civil/professional.

&d=1434287988

Otherwise this happens

&d=1434342066

And Then Some Item Crafting From Deer Carcass

&d=1434347888

And Then Comes To A Shocking Conclusion

&d=1434353160

I Hope This Classifies As Fan Art

Powerline model is from blendswap user oenvoyage(i should give credit, although he may not want his name associated with this)

Speak of the Devil :eek:
I definitely love to see a cinematic of the boy running with a horde of zombies catching. And probably trapped in the same cave and eaten alive that’d be a more interesting scenario than following a kite. :wink:
Though, his face doesn’t look like he is worried at all, looks more like he is one of them.

I got an error when i want to start the game on ‘‘Launch game’’, it says build failled. And when press ‘‘play in editor’’ it freezes on 0.4 fps. Just not working on my system?
GTX970, 4790K quad core 4.0 ghz, 16 gig Ram DDR3 1600 mhz.

LogPlayLevel: Project.CopyBuildToStagingDirectory: ********** STAGE COMMAND STARTED **********
LogPlayLevel: BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
LogPlayLevel: Program.: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
LogPlayLevel: Program.: ERROR: Exception in AutomationScripts.Automation: Missing receipt ‘KiteDemo-Win64-Development.target.xml’. Check that this target has been built.
LogPlayLevel: Stacktrace: bij Project.CreateDeploymentContext(ProjectParams Params, Boolean InDedicatedServer, Boolean DoCleanStage)
LogPlayLevel: bij Project.CopyBuildToStagingDirectory(ProjectParams Params)
LogPlayLevel: bij BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
LogPlayLevel: bij BuildCommand.Execute()
LogPlayLevel: bij AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary1 Commands)
LogPlayLevel: bij AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine)
LogPlayLevel: bij AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
LogPlayLevel: bij AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(MainProc , Object Param)
LogPlayLevel: bij AutomationTool.Program.()
LogPlayLevel: Program.: ERROR: Missing receipt ‘KiteDemo-Win64-Development.target.xml’. Check that this target has been built.
LogPlayLevel: ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
LogPlayLevel: Program.: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1
LogPlayLevel: Domain_ProcessExit
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 1.011962
LogPlayLevel: ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
LogPlayLevel: copying UAT log files…
LogPlayLevel: RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
LogStats:Warning: MetaData mismatch. Did you assign a stat to two groups? New //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_1f14_0///####STATCAT_Advanced#### old //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_644_0///####STATCAT_Advanced####
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Deploy Task, Time: 0.000036
LogPlayLevel: BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults:Error: Error Launch failed! Unknown Error

Error solved, i think i had too load more parts of the projects in the editor before it played stable. Beautiful and impressive too see how the Boy and his Kite animation is realtime rendered on my screen! One little thing however during freeroam are the deers and their behaviour, see the screenshot below. For people wondering about my rig; my specs playing this demo are: GTX970,I7 4790K quad core 4.0 ghz, 16 gig Ram DDR3 1600 mhz, plays sometimes at 70fps, some drops to below 10 but mostly between 27 and 47fps.

://static.afbeeldinguploaden.nl/1506/109724/2e1mtLLI.png

@WarpSpasm, really job there! Loving what you did.

, hahaha name! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to say, the Open World Kite Demo is pretty amazing.
The only issue I noticed was when moving between levels quickly (UAV with Shift held), at which point I found it stuttering while unloading and loading assets.
But then again, this was running in the editor.

Memory with everything loaded was just shy of 20GB, though my system generally runs at 3.5GB used (a few other programs running in the background while playing with the Kite Demo).
I expect that if I was playing with the release version, the memory wouldn’t be as large and things might load faster.

System Specs: i7-5820K OCed to 4.4GHz (6 cores, 12 threads), NVIDIA GTX 980, 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz, Assets loading from a 4 x 256GB SSD in a RAID 0 configuration.

Once again, Props to the UE4 development team for this amazing demo and the engine that runs it.

I really dont understand why people are complaining about this. Since I have seen this demo , all I have ever wanted was to get my hands on this(and also to get a to meet Nina Dobrev , but we are talking games here :P), and now that my dream is going to be true , my PC needs to be updated from 8 gb to 32 gb. But I am ready to go for it , because I would have given 500$ to the person who would create forests and beautiful worlds for me , and now I am getting it all free. The deer AI is amazing , I can simply replace them with my own deers , goats ,and will get pretty amazing results. This will save me a whole lot of effort that I needed to create a fictional world for my yet to be started epic fantasy project :D. I am just dancing with joy

By the way , you can read a sample chapter from here - ://orasir.wikia/wiki/Sample_Prologue
That cart is going to move through this beautiful fictional world , and I no longer have to worry about how I create that (I have obviously assumed that we can reuse the world and the deers for our own projects)

I finally got a to download this last night and I must say that my mind has been blown!! It is such a beautiful environment and I learned so much from exploring the project. I must say I was surprised I could run it with such a good frame rate.

It really makes me sad that there are people who are complaining about this gift. A lot of expert knowledge resides in this project, the fact it has been given to us for free is incredible and I am so grateful for it.

EPIC, you rule!! :slight_smile:

WHEN uploaded to youtube? :slight_smile:

This time it will take longer as is currently at the E3 :wink: -> I think next week it will be on youtube

where can i start the demo.loaded the 24gig version and cant find where i must start.plz help me

Either start it from your launcher -> library tab - double click on your project
Otherwise go to documents/unrealprojects/yourproject/double click on the uproject file (dont know if that is the right path -> so you just have to go to the place where you have saved the kite demo) :slight_smile:

Oh right right! Hope Epic Games is having a **** time at E3!!! ENJOY :slight_smile:

I’ll be straight up, it is beautiful things like this which made me really…really glad I switched to UE from Unity

The moment I saw the downloadable demo in my library, I thought to myself “It’s over. They did it. Epic is Epic.”

I am studying the assets now. Truly amazing work guys - thank you = )

BTW [question] - Any luck on having the Twitch Live streams been recorded to Youtube? I love the way you have organized your videos on youtube, very strong and valuable, to the point

Hey, will you release the world machine file one day?

On my home machine every map looks like this:

://uupload.ir/files/w5ig_1.jpg

And the GDC_Landscape01 looks like this:

://uupload.ir/files/0n4m_untitled.jpg

Any clue?