Sky Atmosphere is straight up black and won't change

Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but I guess this fits under world creation.

So got a bit of a weird issue, I downloaded a project that just got released a few days ago (which I’ve been waiting to mess around with for AGES), so I go to make a new level. However the sky atmosphere is just black, even with a directional light, volumetric cloud etc it just stays black. So I went and made a default third person template level, the lighting works completely normally. So I then merge the level I made back into the project I’m messing around with, and the sky atmosphere goes black again!

This is driving me crazy, I have no idea what the problem is. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Image for reference:

2 Likes

Might be a bit of a long shot here. But try changing the global illumination settings and/or the indirect lighting.

Hi - has anyone found a solution - I have the same problem with a project I converted from UE4 to UE5.

Probably the reference to directional light might have been broken. I encountered the same problem. And selecting the “Atmosphere Sun Light” checkbox in the directional light details panel fixed the problem. For this to work, there should be a SkyAtmosphere instance.

3 Likes

I’m having the same problem and I haven’t found the fix yet. Anyone have more ideas?

I have the same problem. I have deleted all the lights and added them again but it persists.

I think this is due to using the VR temple as a base.

Try adding BP_Sky_Sphere to the scene.

That fixed it for me.

1 Like

That’s an ok temporary solution, but BP_Sky_Sphere looks terrible compared to what sky atmosphere is able to do in 5.0. Something is broken in 5.1

Go into project settings and make sure ‘Support Sky Atmosphere’ is enabled. Once you’ve enabled it, restart the editor - you’ll need to wait for a bunch of new shaders to compile, but this solved my issue.

1 Like

Just linking here as the issue is logged as a bug, hopefully for a fix in 5.2 Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker ( UE-174156 )
It is not just related to VR, we have a standard first person game, the sky broke like this when we upgraded from 5.0.3 to 5.1.0, the issue still exists in 5.1.1

1 Like

Curious how something seemingly so basic was overlooked

1 Like

Make sure you have Lumen enabled in the project settings. Enabling it solved the problem for me.

Ok, first every time the project is compiled it is possible that the sky light is broken, so for VR scenarios you have to look for the “BP_Sky_Sphere” object (how I find it: Content Browser, in settings remember to check "Show engine content " and then just look for the object called BP_Sky_Sphere) add this object to the stage that will give you light again, then modify the objects you have additional like “DirectionalLight” (here you can use CTRL + L for sun direction), “SkyAtmosphere” . In the end, every time you compile, you will have the problem that the sky breaks again, but all you have to do is modify the scale of the object already added to the right side “BP_Sky_Sphere” change the scale a minimum and press Enter that will show the illuminated sky, it is a somewhat manual way but it is the one that has worked for me, as the colleague said while in 5.2 it is organized.

Umar is correct. Go to your directional light and click “Atmosphere Sun Light.”

Facing same issue. Tried enabling ‘support sky atmosphere’. Tried checking ‘atmosphere sunlight’ but still looks like the image in above question.

Just to let everyone know I had the exact same problem and in my particular case, the solution was very obvious :slight_smile: I was in fact working on a mobile game for which I switched from using Deferred rendering, to Forward rendering, meaning I was no longer benefitting from Lumen :nerd_face: And the new Sky & Atmosphere component is obviously in need of Lumen in order to work. Therefore I switched back, enabled RayTracing as it is a requirement for Lumen (software in my case, but you can also use HW if your GPU allows for that), then everything worked perfectly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Just wanted to post this in case anyone else falls into this category :smiley:

3 Likes

Try going to texture and playing with MIP. Sharpen caused issues so I put to unfiltered.

Hello, for version 5.1 where every time you compile the lights everything is dark, you must first do “Global tracing” then in DirectionalLight in “Moval” option. I attach an image for better understanding.

try to go to your “Config/DefaultEngine.ini” and delete the “[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]” section. thats how i just solved my sky athmosphere not showing up.

this also worked for me in multiple occasions when render issues popped up.

you might notice that the set of options here change with engine updates. thus, leaving outdated values in there might have unwanted side effects.

be sure to backup the settings so you can set it in the editor project settings to your needs.

Well. I added the bp sky sphere and everything turned orange. Inside the sky sphere actor, there is an option called ‘directional light actor’. I added the current directional light and things worked out fine. Not sure if it works out in all scenarios.

1 Like