5.4: have you noticed any performance gain?

Render thread time reduced by 50% and GPU time decreased by 25%!! That means 2x and 1.5x times faster!!! :scream:

But, wait, have you noticed anything at all? I have already opened some projects since 5.4 preview, some ā€œcommonsā€ and some with a lot of nanite and vsm, like the Electric Dreams. And I have noticed speed/performance improvements in approximately theā€¦ 0% of my projects. In general, slightly performance drops, in fact.

Please, give me some good numbers!

1 Like

I also didnā€™t notice any performance boost at all. Took City Sample, Valley of Ancients. Nothing. I tried to look for any plugins, even experimental stuff, but no. They said itā€™s out-of-box improvements. So, hopefully to see any details on those updates

If I recall correctly, the City Sample is heavily CPU bottlenecked by the game thread, so I wouldnā€™t be surprised if render thread optimizations donā€™t do anything.

On my project, instead of improving performance, I got a sawtooth frame time graph

UPD. If anyone has the same problem - disable Real Time Capture in your SkyLight

Thanks for the info, I was having the same issue. Turning off the Real Time Capture did indeed stop the FPS saw tooth. Iā€™m still testing but the issue does not seem to return if I turn the Real Time Capture back on. odd.

Regards

Last time that I checked all the features, departments and rendering aspects ending up in a tug of war regarding performance stagnating any GPU performance increase.

Anyone can view what got faster and what got slower here, this is preview but Iā€™m working on updating to ā€œstableā€ 5.4.

My guess is the GPU performance improvements are extremely conditional(abusing 5.3 for no good reason other than making abusive 5.3 scenarios faster in 5.4). What would improve performance in UE title releases would to be creating better optimization workflows for developers(better LODs algorithms, precomputed hierarchy meshlets, LOD streaming based on a global speed variable).

There is only so much performance they can give us without redoing several designs which I doubt Epic will fund any time soon. They keep iterating on fundamental broken technologies with almost no changes every time. Lumen works the same way, we work with it the same way. Nanite and TSR, again we flip them on and have no options for anything(TSR doesnā€™t have enough variables to fix itā€™s fundamental issues).

The numbers given by epic games are vs 5.0 not 5.3.

(post deleted by author)

some of my unoptimized test maps have seen big performance degradation and i removed them from the projects. mostly foliage spammed maps. running the highest tier setup i can do. all other test cases have seen and continue to see improvements in test visuals and performance.

1 Like

Did a small test with Nanite, thought I should share here since this thread will already contain people keeping an eye on performance.