5.3 no reflections SWRT Lumen on the landscape (Lyra)

The point is that in 5.3 (5.1) the landscape does not provide reflection; there is no distance field mesh for it (for reflection)
Regardless of which method you choose and what voxel density you specify, there are no reflections.
When you select a “detail tracing”, you can see that the lumen is trying to draw reflections literally a meter from the camera.
This situation also existed in 5.1, but then I could solve this problem by disabling nanite.
There were no problems in 5.2
And in 5.3 it returned, only now it does not react in any way to the inclusion of nanite on the landscape.
I tested this on my project, in the Lyra project, with different landscape settings, WP, material, all without results.

Strange, I’ve tried to create new Landscape, enable Nanite and everything works as expected. I’m not also aware of any issues with Nanite. Can you share a tiny project, which reproduces this issue? Do you see Landscape in the Global Distance Field visualization?

I downloaded versions 5.2.1 and 5.3.1 from EGS to exclude any failures in the assembly (before this I used git, release branch)
situation repeated itself exactly
BUT
I opened an empty project in 5.3.1 and created a landscape and everything was fine there.

It turns out that this is a problem specifically in the Lyra project (Lyra Sample Game) in version 5.3. But in the git repo I didn’t see any changes regarding DF (Distance Fields).
I also checked that the DF is not generated for the landscape (or is not displayed)

Then I transferred the empty project from 5.2 to 5.3 to avoid the error of transferring between versions. The transferred empty project 5.2 worked correctly on 5.3 as expected.

It’s my fault that I didn’t check first on an empty map in the engine itself.
I considered Lyra to be a standard of quality because it is made by people who know the engine better than me.

Two question remains, what could be the problem…
And why are there no similar questions from other users? Maybe it’s my hardware?.. but then this doesn’t explain why everything works correctly in an empty project.

Situation update.

Downloaded the original Lyra 5.3 project from EGS.
and deleted all project configuration files (ini)
After which I launched the project, turned on lumen, as well as DF generation, and restarted the project.

DF is again generated on the landscape.
I will have to go through all the settings to find the reason for the DF failure on the landscape.

I have a long night ahead…

Problem found
DefaultScalability.ini

Here are the changes between Lyra 5.2 and 5.3

I simply replaced DefaultScalability.ini from version 5.2 and everything returned to normal.

Because my own DefaultScalability.ini is built on a copy of \Engine\Config\BaseScalability.ini is not a problem for me.
But you need to check this problem on another machine and submit it for correction. I would be glad if someone did this.

Hi, there was a bug which was disabling Landscape from composing into the Global Distance Field when r.DistanceFieldAO 0. Just fixed it and fix should be included in the next engine release. For now you can just leave it to 1 as anyway Lumen disables DFAO.

1 Like

Can report that as of 5.3.2 this still seems bugged. Landscape (and possibly other things) isn’t properly making it to global distance field. I’ve just set the flag to 1 for now. Which does fix the issue with no other apparent side effects (I’m using Lumen)

I’m hoping that @Krzysztof.N meant UE5.4 and not the 5.3.1 or 5.3.2 engine release back when they posted in Oct 2023.

edit:
Found the issue, it’s fixed in 5.4
Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-197572)