[4.9 P4] Several problems with VR (and texture streaming)

Hi there,

tried to convert a copy of my 4.8.3 project to 4.9 preview 4. Had to manually fix some problems to get it to run (changed method names etc.) but there are still remaining problems:

• Error messages on startup, don’t know what they are actually mean:

• PIE session starts always (!) in VR mode, even when I switch of the HMD (known bug in 4.9 since P1)
  • Performance is noticeable worse then in 4.8.3 for some reason (can’t really profile in VR because of forced V-Sync)
  • Texture streaming doesn’t work anymore (all textures and lightmaps are blurred, hires version don’t load anymore), even in editor

4.8.3:

4.9 P4:

Texture streaming is still activated in the settings:

Hello ,

Thank you for the screenshots this helps tremendously.

From what you have described it sounds like you have converted in place a copy of your original project that you made in 4.8.3. If this is the case then there have been known issues using this method of conversion. What we recommend for conversion is to launch the version of UE4 that you would like to convert to and then click on the project you would like to convert. A menu will appear prompting you for your method of conversion. What we recommend is to choose Open a copy.

If this is the process that you used then please try the open a copy workflow and see if that solves the issue.

In regards to the texture streaming issue where PIE starts in VR mode, a troubleshoot for this would be to have UE4 closed, and then disconnect your VR device. Then try and reopen your project and see if that solves the start in PIE issue.

As a note, I have noticed it is not just the board or chair but all of your textures are returning a lower quality mip map.To address the lower quality of your textures when using texture streaming, there are a few things you can do to troubleshoot this issue.

1.) One is to type “Stat Streaming” into the console command.

2.) Then compare the results from your converted project with your original one.

3.) From there you can determine the differences between the two and attempt to isolate the inconsistencies.

Here is a link to our documentation to help with this process. After trying these troubleshoots let me know if you are still experiencing any of these issues.

Link : Texture Streaming in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Thank you,

Hi ,

What we recommend for conversion is to
launch the version of UE4 that you
would like to convert to and then
click on the project you would like to
convert. A menu will appear prompting
you for your method of conversion.
What we recommend is to choose Open a
copy.

Hmm, that’s exactly what I did. UE4 made a copy of the project folder and named it “[original name]_4.9”

where PIE starts in VR mode, a troubleshoot for this would be to have UE4 >closed, and then disconnect your VR device.

Yes, that works indeed. But that’s extremely annoying because I have to constantly switch between both options. during development That didn’t happen in 4.8.

(…) One is to type “Stat Streaming” into the console command.

Ok, I will see if I can find anything useful. Maybe it’s just a corrupted texture cache or something which could be deleted/recreated by hand?

Hello ,

I am checking in to see if you had a chance to test any of the above mentioned steps or if you were able to fix this issue. I am curious to see if it was a corrupted texture cache or not.

Please let me know whenever you get the chance.

Thank you,

Hi ,

I made some additional observations:

• This seems not really be reproducable under normal conditions. I had to re-open the project three times now in a row (the first two times, the textures loaded as spected). And then, the textures were loaded suddently when I started a PIE session (and stayed there).

• If a HMD is even attached when the engine starts, the texture streaming never works (regardless of the PIE mode)

Here’s a screenshot from 4.8.3 with ‘stat streaming’

The same with 4.9 P4 (and ‘stat streaming details’):

Maybe this is another side issue of [4.9 P1] "isHeadmountedDisplayEnabled" always reporting TRUE - XR Development - Epic Developer Community Forums (reported for Preview 1 already but still unfixed). Maybe the player’s position is reported wrongly if there is a HMD available and erroneously reported as enabled and active no matter what.

BTW: There are some additonal strange error regarding ‘/Script/OculusRift’ on project load time:

For some reason, there are also some errors reported for my function libs (but they work and I can recompile them like normal)

I can only repeat myself:

Please don’t release 4.9 in this state or at least patch this in the upcoming weeks.

Do not the same as with 4.8 (where VR was broken also). Oculus doesn’t support SDK 0.5 anymore with the current Runtime 0.7 so you HAVE to use 4.8 or 4.9 now as a developer.

Hello ,

I do not have any control over when 4.9 is released. Features that are implemented and considered, or bugs that are fixed are handled by our development team.

I attempted to recreate your issue myself in a test project and was unable to. From what you describe " this is not reproducible under normal conditions," and the fact that I can not reproduce it makes me believe this could be a project specific issue.

Let me know if in 4.9 this issue is fixed. Or if in 4.9 you can reproduce this issue in a test project.

Thank you,

Ok, great. But why does it work on 4.8.3 then? And why is ‘pool memory size’ only 200 MB on 4.9 (1000 MB on 4.8.3)?

Hello ,

In regards to the ‘pool memory size’ only being set to 200 MB by default I have a few questions followed by a console command to change this.

In your Engine Scalability Settings, there is a check box that says “Monitor Editor Performance?” This is asking do you want the engine to automatically calculate your graphics for you. Similar to auto it tries to best calculate what settings your computer will best run on. Is this turned on?

Also do you have the engine Scalability set to Epic?

Lastly the command to manually set your Pool Size is r.SetPoolSize. Then you can enter a value such as 1000.

I’m not quite sure why the pool size is reverting to 200MB. Using the above mentioned steps on a machine with these specs :

OSX Windows 7 Professional

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ES-2620 0 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00GHz

32GB Ram

GeForce GTX 770
Version 347.09

By default my pool size is 1000MB.

Let me know the answer to the questions mentioned above or if this changes your pool size. Also, if you would link your DxDiag then they may shed some light on how much space you actually have to allocate.

Thank you,

Hi ,

good news, that was indeed the case!

For some reason, the editor scaled everything down and set textures on low which was causing this trouble. When I set this back to EPIC and disabled ‘monitor performance’, the textures where sharp again. Many thanks!

Hey ,

Not a problem glad it was something that simple.