4.8 Promoted Build, Unable to Hot Reload

Even though I don’t know if its going to help but what about deleting Intermediate and Saved and than re-generate the Project? Don’t to forget to save away in the Saved Folder things you would like to keep such as ogs.

yeah right click and generate project files which also creates saved and intermediate. Since those two are always created I would delete them to see if it fixes the problem. And as said if you ave some of the Saved Backups and Logs you want to keep than just move those two folder for testing if it works out.

Alright, I’ve recreated the solution, going to do a solution recompile and then test to see if deleting saved, intermediate and the SDF make any difference.

Nope, Just followed through and once again, the first hot-reload works but then the second fails. In the case that anyone knowledgeable / a developer stumbles upon this question i’m posting the entirety of the output log below:

Thank you for trying to help Martin, sorry my configuration is being unruly.

Hey oh man… I am really sorry I can’t be more of a help. I might test it tomorrow again but I hope maybe a Staff Member will hopefully step in and might be of support.

Hi Cidubic,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post. I just tried to reproduce this issue in the latest promoted version (from changelist 2455917) and actually ran into some breakpoints instead of the issue that you described. Do you recall at what point you synced to the promoted branch on GitHub?

Also, does this happen only with your project, or are you able to see the same results in a new project?

The promoted branch on GitHub receives only minimal testing, so it should not be considered a stable build for project development. It is generally more stable than the master branch, but it can still be prone to errors and crashes.

I am also a bit confused as it was promoted us such:

> The promoted branch is updated with
> builds for our artists and designers
> to use. We try to update it daily
> (though we often catch things that
> prevent us from doing so) and it's a
> good balance between getting the
> latest cool stuff and knowing most
> things work.

I was assuming this would be the case. Now I don’t experience a lot of breaking stuff and as stated before it worked for me.

Sorry for the offtopic.

[Promoted CL 2446589 in Main branch] Was the promoted built that I was working with at the time, I believe I tried hot reload with the build before that as well. I was able to create the issue from a blank project after adding in some code as well.

I do understand that the promoted branch isn’t meant to be used as a stable build.

I tried again on our internal Promoted build from CL 2446589 (which, in theory, is the same as what you pulled from GitHub). When I built the project using Debug Editor configuration, I was not able to open the project in Visual Studio’s debug environment. I hit a critical error break point when trying to load.

I also completely built the project using Debug Editor configuration and opened it outside of Visual Studio. I added several lines of code to a project and performed a Hot Reload and the reload completed successfully. Would you be able to clarify exactly how you are setting up your test project where you are seeing these results?

Hey thanks for clarifying. I will remain for my project on Promoted as I really don’t have a lot of issues and works smooth and I always can go back to a stable changelist (from my perspective) since I always backup and push to github when a new changelist comes along.

Hi Martin,

The Promoted build is what our development teams use internally. However, it only receives a basic test pass before being marked as Promoted. It is nowhere close to the in-depth testing that our release versions go through. Because of this difference, we expect the Promoted builds to occasionally have issues. It is certainly possible to develop a project using the Promoted build, but the most recent release version will generally be much more stable.

If you look at the comments below I managed to get the hot-reload to work once at the start of opening the editor too, the problem then became that it would fail on the second attempt to use the hot-reload feature.

I still have not been able to reproduce this issue. However, I ran my test again today using our latest promoted version (from CL 2471062) and did not see any of the crashes or breakpoints that I had been running into previously. I am curious to find out if this version also resolves the issues that you were experiencing.

If not, could you provide some additional clarification for this issue?

• From reading the rest of the post, I have gathered that you are using a modified version of the Turn Based Strategy sample project. How extensively have you altered it?
  • Does this issue occur regardless of what kind of changes you are making to the source code?
  • Are you always initiating the hot reload by clicking the Compile button in the Editor?

Hi Cidubic,

We have not heard back from you for a few days. Do you still need help with this issue? I will be marking this issue as resolved for tracking purposes, but please feel free to re-open this issue at any time if you need any additional help.

Sorry about not responding, since the 4.7 release I just decided to start working with the stable 4.7 binary and I haven’t had any of these issues. Hot-reload is working properly for me, the major difference is that I’m using the binary build at this point in time, rather than compiling off of the github source. I feel no need to cause myself unnecessary grief by trying to mess with that version anymore, so I dropped off this conversation, sorry for not closing it up. I’m happy with the binary build since it now supports proper debugging.