Download

4.8 Procedural Foliage: Is it compatible with "dynamic" foliage based on season?

So I have an actor blueprint, that (once it gets troubleshooted) calculates the season in the game, and then changes the tree based on the season. Is this even compatible with the procedural foliage?

If not, is there a way to get a feature like this, or how would I implement it?

Another question I had was actually with the “Choose what season it is” section of my blueprint… as I am not on my computer atm, to explain, I have several branches with get month >= and <= to calculate what season it is and sets the component mesh that corresponds to the season… is there a better way to do this?

Update:

No, it does not work. I tried playing around with it yesterday, and it was a no-go.

Depending on your meshes and what exactly you want to achieve, you could do it in your material → e.g changing some parameters to switch the texture/add snow/add other colours,… :slight_smile:

Foliage instancing does not, as far as I am aware, work with BP actors. We have a very similar set up in our game with the trees in that the leaves change color, spawn leaf particles in the fall and then the leaves die in winter. We have a huge game world and found that we had to place every tree by hand due to the foliage tool not working with the BP actors.

I think another way to do this, instead of relying on the foliage tool, is to build the tool directly into the blueprint. Have the blueprint spawn X number of trees in a random direction from itself, within Y distance, placing the tree along the landscape ground.

lol… i used the clones generator on the marketplace. Works like a charm, although I have only tested with a flat terrain.