4.8 Preview, Game Jam Results, and More! - Live from Epic HQ

Please tell us about the current state of blutillities hopefully good news for 4.8

blueprint problems regarding enums and structs have been there for quite some time when are you going to fix them?

Hi There ,

I have some [Questions] about Windows 10 that come for free in around 4 months (probably end of July), nothing special ? UE4.8 is ready DirectX 12 ?
I have a GTX SLI Dirext 11 but i will take a directx12 card , what you advise we ?

Thank

Will 4.8 include any improvements to temporal anti-aliasing which fix old flaws, like incorrect results on surfaces which use panning materials or world position offset (such as foliage and fluids)?

Will 4.8 bring us any closer to the desktop forward rendering path which was mentioned (I think by Mittring) last year, and the associated performance improvements/MSAA support that would bring?

These issues are important to good VR and were not addressed on last week’s chat.

one question, is the linux editor officially coming with 4.8?

thanks

Personally I feel that such an epic release would warrant the staff performing Latin Dance Aerobic’s while announcing it as seen here:

?v=y9raJrc-X9k

I know epic hired an audio engineer (yay!), and I have seen some large commits for UnrealAudio , What changes are being made / the goal of the new system (is this being rolled into mobile eventually)?

Steamworks API is still not working when packaging on Shipping mode; are there any plans to fix this on 4.8?

I’m interested in exactly what parts of the Kite Demo will make it into 4.8, specifically the processes discussed in the talk that aren’t currently in UE4: Creating the Open World Kite Real-Time Demo in UE4 | GDC 2015 Event Coverage | Unreal Engine - YouTube

Also, how will landscape actors change in the near future (if not 4.8 then 4.9)? Are the best results still achieved going from WorldMachine to UE4, or is Epic releasing internal tools for that process? Will we see the ecosystem in 4.8, and if so, how mature will it be?

OK I’ll bite.

I’d like to hear what Mike and Ray think of doing a “stability release” every 6 months or so. One that is purely intended to find and fix bugs and isn’t allowed to add any features. Because right now there are some core bugs and it would be nice to give the development team some deliberate thinking time to figure out the core issues that cause them.

Here’s a related question, there appears to be an issue with the internals of blueprint, in that blueprints can become corrupted (usually during a crash) that it is impossible to open the blueprint concerned. Often this seems due to some reference to an object that doesn’t exist, or one that has become lost in serialization. If you search for “transient” on answerhub you’ll find bugs relating to this kind of issue.

I don’t think this is an isolated problem either. I’ve seen my students locked out of projects because of asset references that are no longer valid. Again possibly due to bugs during serialization.

It would be great if Epic could have a “verify project” system that goes and fixes up any issues it finds (even if the fix is to break a wire, or delete an asset as long as it tells you what was wrong). A bit like how a clean rebuild often fixes a large project in visual studio. It would give me a lot more confidence if there was a fallback system that actually reliably recovered what it could and told me what was wrong with what it couldn’t. Crashes are going to happen, but its recovery from crashing that is the important bit.

whats the status of Niagara ?

Sweet, looking forward.
I would like to know about what console support improvements can we expect in 4.8

Thank you,

[feature request][question]Can Epic add in vehicle animation blueprint one important ability for separate axis in “copy bone” node, so for now “copy bone” get all rotation/position/scale data from one bone(physical wheel) and transfer to another( visible wheel), but if i only want get one rotation axis(pitch only), or one position axis(z only)? ---- without this ability i need to do so many work in maya with bones skining and after that also in engine, so maybe Epic think about add this ability in 4.8 to add more easier workflow with vehicles in UE4? thx

Are you sure? We have at least matchmaking working with 4.7.5 (and previous 4.7 versions too).

My question would be that what sort of improvements are planned for UMG and I would personally like to see Post-Processing available for UMG. At the moment UMG materials feel very limited and doing simple effects like glow take lot of unnecessary resources and the results could be better with a dedicated Post-Process for UMG.

I’m using 4.6.1 and Steam Overlay doesn’t work on Shipping mode… Achievements too.
To get Achievements and Overlay to work on game I have to publish on DebugMode or it won’t work even if I put the steam_appid.txt in place.
I heard ppl having the same issues on 4.7 as well.

Will the UMG - Dedicated Server Bug be fixed? (The one that shuts down the dedicated server because, all the Editor UMG stuff didnt get loaded up)

How will be the In-App Purchase for Android/iOS in 4.8?

Was any light baking used in the kite demo? Or is it possible to not have to bake anything at all in 4.8? I notice some shadow artifacts and jaggedness on sloping curved parts of terrain without baking once first in 4.7
See thread- https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?67470-How-to-fix-jagged-shadows-on-terrain

One day, I’ll enter one of these Game jams thou speak of…

Haha, it’s started already… Looking forward to some 4.8 neuwssss!

Btw guys, I’m going to be streaming a tutorial on how to get the most out of texture compression, as soon as Unreal are finished over there :slight_smile: Here’s the thread for more details

Have there been more improvements to the folliage instance system? My folliage instances still force my system to crawl, especially grass.

There were talk about work being made to allow blueprints to be placed with ecosystems (and perhaps foliage mode?), did that end up in 4.8 or do we have to wait?
How about the ability to add different meshes for different “ages” of trees in ecosystem tools? That feature would be fantastic, instead of just scaling meshes down further out in clusters which won’t look all that good. We have between 5 and 9 different versions of all our trees, most of which are different ages so a function like that would be amazing for us!