4.7 release mobile shadows

You are welcome, let me know what you discover after testing.

In the mobile supported lights image/info linked to - it says that Directional Stationary light is supported yet says underneath that only Static and Movable are supported. From my tests it seems like Stationary shadows don’t work on device (Android) when building from UE4.9 and Moveable ones are rendering upside down. I’ve made a separate question about it Android Shadows Acting Strangely - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

That was my mistake as it does clearly state in the documentation that the supported Mobility of Directional Light Types are Static and Stationary.

Moveable lights are considered fully dynamic and are not yet supported for mobile. Apologies for passing the incorrect information. For tracking purposes we will continue your next question on the new post you provided.

Cheers,

Thanks for clarifying. So I’m guessing the new updates in 4.9 ( dynamic character shadows on mobile) are regarding stationary dir lights. If you get a chance to check out my question/thread in my previous comment I’d really appreciate it

That does regard Stationary directional lights. You can find this information in our Release Notes on our Documentation site.

Unreal Engine 4.9 Release Notes

Dynamic Modulated Shadows

Dynamic Point Lights

Thank you,

I’m still having issues with my project. As a test I created a default Third Person Project (Mobile Platform). This had no shadows in Editor (ES2 viewport) or on device (s6). However, creating a default Third Person Project (Desktop Platform) has shadows - both in Editor and on S6. Strange that the Desktop version of the project is the only one that presents the shadows on Mobile. I had a look for documentation on what those presets (at the start of a new project) actually change but haven’t found the specifics yet.

Also I noticed in this post (TIP: How to Enable Dynamic Shadows & Correct Reflection Maps on Mobile - Mobile - Unreal Engine Forums) of how they got the mobile shadows working (on Mega Blast) that they say you have to set the Directional Light to Moveable (which - as you mentioned - is unsupported / gives me odd shadows). I’m still unable to get any shadows on anything except when it’s tagged Moveable.

Just a note to say my issue has been solved. For me I had tested with Mobile HDR toggled on (but I didn’t know you had to restart the editor for it to take effect)