[4.7.2][Mobile] Landscape masked material rendered wrong

Hi,

I thought I’ll give the 4.7 release one more try and convert my simple project from 4.6.1 to 4.7.2.
Unfortunately my masked landscape is rendered completely wrong on my device (preview is ok).

This is how it should look (launched from 4.6.1):

This is how it looks when launched from 4.7.2:

The material (applied to both base and hole material slots):

I checked the guidelines for mobile materials and effects and found nothing unsupported in my project. Had this issue on 4.7, 4.7.1 and on one of the Previews.

EDIT: The 1st LandscapeCoord uses UV0, the 2nd one uses the UV1 and the 3rd one uses UV0.

Hey ,

Just to clarify, both images are taken from the device and not the preview?

Also, what mobile device are you using?

I am not as familiar with Landscape Visibility Masks, but I do know they have been known to have issues.You mentioned you went through the Mobile Texture/Material Guidelines so hopefully that is not your restriction.

I was able to find a very in depth AnswerHub post about Landscape Visibility Masks that might be able to direct you to a solution. I also read on a different post that for one user, simply restarting the editor worked.

Landscape Visibility Masks

I will do my best to help you find a solution to this issue and hopefully learn some additional things about masking landscapes and mobile materials. Let me know if you have reviewed the post and were able to find any pertinent information that could potentially help your case.

Cheers,

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I wasn’t clear, both screenshots are taken from the device.

I have this issue on both my devices, a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (SM-P605) and a Nexus 4.

Thank you for the link. I read this post a few releases ago, when I had exactly the same issue as the OP (Landscape Component getting black when drawing a hole on it). This time it is different, whole components are missing. But I tried all the fixes mentioned in the post anyway, unfortunately none of them worked.

I tried the restart trick, didn’t work. Although it worked with another issue I posted about here. Maybe there is some connection between the two issues.

There are no problems launching projects on devices under 4.6.1, no missing/black Landscape Components, everything is fine. The both bugs were introduced in the 4.7 release.

I hope you guys will find a solution. I’d love to switch to 4.7 with its awesome new features as soon as possible.

Hey again ,

No problem, and thank you for the clarification.

I just took a look at the post you linked and saw that we requested your project to get an in depth view of the issue. I will see if I can coordinate with the other staff member to find a resolution/fix for your issue.

Cheers,

Hey Andrew,

wittlief got a copy of my project, but let me know if you need a link.

Thanks.

Hey ,

If you do not mind, please do give me the link via Private Message on the Forums.

Thank you,

Sure, just sent you a message.

Hi Andrew,

I just wanted to ask wether there is a progress with my issue. Got a message from wittlief yesterday saying that the other bug was fixed and I thought/hope there’s a connection between the both issues,

Hey ,

This issue should be resolved with the given fix Wittlief provided to you on the related post. As you mentioned on the post, it could be helpful to learn the GitHub workflow especially since the fix is directly affecting you. Or you can wait till 4.7.4 is released soon :slight_smile:

Either way, I am glad we were able to get this issue addressed and hope that if you have further questions or issues in the future, you do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately this issue is not resolved. Just upgraded to 4.7.4 and it’s still broken, but looks different:

Hey ,

So after running some tests internally, we are not getting the same results you are experiencing in the current engine version. Also, after consulting some other developers who were able to reproduce your issue before, they mentioned changing the shader version which re-compiles the DerivedDataCache folder which fixed the issue.

In your case, it seems like you are rebuilding with a ‘dirtied’ or corrupted DerivedDataCache folder. Try going into your Unreal Engine program files directory for the current engine version you are working with (4.7), and delete the DerivedDataCache folder. You will also want to go into the project folder for this particular project and delete the Project, Intermediate, Binary, Saved, and any DDC folders.

Folders/Files to Delete

37255-projectfolder.png

After doing this and launching your project, you are going to need to wait a little bit for the engine to rebuild your shaders and re-configure your project. When you have completed this process, take a very simplified version of your Landscape Material (use image as example), rebuild, and launch on your device.

Landscape Visibility Material

I enabled ‘Fully Rough’ and disabled ‘Use Lightmap Directionality’ for performance purposes.

Cheers,

Hey Andrew,

I followed all your steps and even created a new clean project, still experiencing this issue.

How it looks in the editor:

And on the device (actually the same on both devices and in the Preview):

Now if I delete some holes and draw new ones, it would look like on the image in my previous reply, with darker areas and cut off holes.

Would it help if I completely uninstall and install the engine (I wanted to do it anyway)? And, which version of TADP do you use? Should I update it?

OK, I reinstalled the engine, the same results :confused:

Hey ,

I would definitely grab the most recent TADP update. Hopefully this is the hidden piece to the puzzle because aside from that suggestion, we cannot seem to get the same results as one another.

With that being said, I am going to continue to troubleshoot this issue until we can get some type of resolution that works. After attempting to update your software development kit and still see the same outcome, let me know.

Cheers,

Oh well… Updated TADP, nothing changed. Guys, I don’t want to downgrade back to 4.6.1, 4.7 is such a nice release :smiley:
Please, don’t give up!

Hey ,

No worries. We will figure this out.

Are both of your devices up to date as well?

Also, how are you deploying to your device?

‘Launch On’ or are you packaging your project and manually placing it on your device?

Thanks,

Hi Andrew,

Both devices are up to date, stock, no root. Nexus 4 is running Android 5.0.1 and Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (SM-P605) is on 4.4.2.

I’m always using ‘Launch On’, never tried packaging.

Hey ,

Good news!

I was able to reproduce your issue on two different devices and went ahead and entered a bug report for this issue UE-13442.

As far as a time frame when a fix will be implemented I cannot say, but for now at least we got the bug entered so the issue will be fixed in a future version of the engine.

Thank you for your patience while troubleshooting your issue. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns please let us know.

Cheers,

Hi , this bug has been fixed for 4.8 although I fixed it today so it won’t make it into Preview 1, but it should be in next week’s Preview 2.

Also, this won’t work around the bug, but your material setup is not really recommended. In versions 4.7 and below, you should use an Opaque material for your LandscapeMaterial and a Masked material for the LandscapeHoleMaterial - to use a masked everywhere should work but components without any holes will render slightly slower than they would otherwise.

Also in 4.8 you no longer need to supply a LandscapeHoleMaterial or worry about the Masked blend mode at all. If you setup your main Landscape Material with a LandscapeVisibilityMask node connected to OpacityMask and set your BlendMode to Opaque, it will work fine.

Thank you very much! Perfect timing.

I don’t know exactly what it was, but there was a rendering bug in a 4.6 release, where I had to assign the same masked material to both material slots to work around that old bug.

I like the new feature, can’t wait for 4.8.