[4.7.1] - Engine appears to causing a lot of CPU Stalls

I have no clue! I just pinpointed the source of evil. I hope the devs will do something about it now that the reports keep pilling up because it is a very serious bug.

Just to add in, I’m still getting some weird lag spikes randomly even with 4.7.2, I thought disabling tutorials fixed it - but it might just have been some temporary fix.

After a ~2-3 hours of usage the RAM usage of UE4 will have risen upwards 6-7GB even with a new, very small project. Leading me to believe there is some sort of memory leak going on - apparently one of the developers of Rats Game had reported the same issue;

I don’t get that bad an experience, but it might be due to the fact he has only 8GB of RAM and I’ve got 16.

More over those lag spikes only occur for me whilst dragging nodes in the EventGraph or whenever the cursor hovers over any object and the editor wants to display a tooltip.

Edit2:

Not sure if there was some hotfix or something pushed through over the night, but the last hour UE4 has been smooth as silk for me. I didn’t do much other than remove a few unused blueprints and staticmeshes*(neither of which were being used in the scene)*.

I will report back later if it stays this smooth or if it starts happening again.

Hi

I’ve tried to reproduce your problem with testing the same project from 4.6.1 verses 4.7.2 with almost the opposite results shown here (The 4.7.2 -2nd image- is about the same speed at half % CPU usage):

This leads me to ask, are you still experiencing lag with a brand new project in 4.7.2?

Hey ,

That’s interesting. This project I want to say was created during 4.6.0. The other one that I’m noticing some additional slowdown is one that was created during 4.0.1 and has been upgraded over the past year. Thanks for the help. Keep me posted and much appreciated!

EDIT: Whoops, I read that incorrectly. Let me try re-creating a brand new project to see if I notice that.

Okay… now I’m extremely confused. Like beyond confused. Guys… I hate to say it but this might not be the Engine… I think it’s the 980 GTX or the current drivers from NVIDIA. Maybe I’m wrong and it is the engine but this is odd.

It might be how the card throttles itself under load but it’s fairly cool in my apartment and I just loaded up UE4 for the first time and did what you said . In a brand new project, it was roughly 2.3ms which is pretty much normal. So I said, well lets go back to my projects on a hunch not thinking it would make a difference and in my first project, I noticed that the Game Thread was barley over ~1.5ms and I had even more perf than my 4.6.1 build which was half that or a third. Then I decided to load the project I’ve been heavily working on for the dev grant program and my perf in my most intensive scene was 20+ more fps than even last night.

My guess is that it is something to do with the 980. I don’t know if that correlates with all the CPU - Wait For Event calls but Dealman, this makes me think there was a moment where you noticed good perf and then it got bad.

Now it could be the engine or something to do with the renderer but I hope this helps you and the team dig deeper into the issue . I’d have Epic give you or a tech an EVGA 980 GTX SC (Reference Cooler) to test and see if you notice inconsistencies with the engine. If so, keep an eye out for those Wait for events and maybe you may get more insight on what is going on.

EDIT: Then again, it being the card doesn’t explain why this wasn’t an issue in 4.6.1 but it might be possible that its just not 100% consistent. But I’ve seen quite a bit out there that people have suffered some perf issues why others have noticed the complete opposite. Staying positive though and thanks .

Thanks again and keep us posted!

Yup, no idea what’s going on. Yesterday I had a really smooth experience, but today it was sluggish again - as soon as I hover my cursor over something the entire editor starts to stutter. This is really annoying when trying to work with blueprints.

I’ll fiddle diddle schniddle with drivers, see if I can find any differences between them.

Hey Dealman! Fiddle diddle schniddle… haha… love the attitude buddy!

It’s definitely one that comes and goes so hopefully it can be pinned down where it is coming from. I’m going to say it’s the engine since 4.6.1 did not suffer from this issue and not the driver but either way, hope to get some more insight on how to take down this issue.

Hi MC Stryker

We did some testing here and discovered there is noticeably lower in-game performance, specifically in UE4.7.3 & 4.7.2, with a GTX 480 and GTX 980. (The specs I posted before were tested with a GTX 770 which is apparently unaffected.)

This has been reported as JIRA [UE-12040]. When this has been addressed for a future build of the engine this post will be updated.

Thank you for your feedback!

Absolutely and glad to hear that! As a note though, I started experiencing this in 4.7.0 so you may want the tech to try to confirm if that version has the same symptoms noticed in 4.7.2/4.7.3. Hopefully its all related but keep up the great work and keep those hotfixes coming . Much appreciated and have a great day!

I updated my UE4 from 4.6.x to 4.7.5 a few days ago, and I’ve got 2 computer freezes already.
I have GTX 970, i7-4770 and 8GB RAM.

In order to properly diagnose if this is related to the initially posted problem, we need to know more about the circumstances around when the freeze occurs. (ie. What type of project your in, are you using custom assets, etc.) Also, does your whole system freeze, or just EU4?

Additionally, please post your dxdiag: (Windows Start Button>(search “dxdiag”)>Launch dxdiag>select “Save all information”>attach text file to your post.)

Thanks.

First time I just opened a new 3rd person project that had the newly released official assets (trees, rocks, textures etc.) added. First I placed a rock and it took surprisingly long time for my computer to do it (a minute or so). Then I tried using one of the new materials (from the same assets collection) on the landscape, aaaand then the editor kinda froze, then all the pc froze, so I had to kill the pc by holding the power button pressed.
Second time I created a new project, imported my own 3d model (less than 100 pollys) and applied several materials from the editor to see how it looks. Then one material froze everything again.
Now I’m scared to even launch the engine. As I said, when I had 4.6.x it was ok, I just installed 4.7.5 a few days ago just to try out those new assets. I’m thinking I should go back to 4.6.x since I need to do my university project, but how will I know if the 4.7.5 is fixed?link text

Hi Dueldogg,

Since the issue you are reporting is different from the performance issue initially posted on this thread, please post this as new issue so users experiencing the same issue can find the answer easier in the future. You can simply cut and paste the paragraph above to a new post -make sure you enter it as a “bug report.”

We’ll also need to know which “newly released official assets” you are using? Did they come from a specific Feature Sample? If so, which one? Or are you referring to Starter content included in a template? Please repost and we’ll continue from there.

Thanks

Continuing here

Hey and Eric,

This issue unfortunately appears to still be present in 4.7.6. I just created a brand new empty project w/ no assets and the CPU is still consuming over 8ms on it’s own.

I remember very clearly back in 4.6.1 it was around ~2.3ms. Something still seems to be consuming a lot of time. I don’t want to rule out that it is a driver and not the engine so I’ll have to test this theory out but if you get a chance, load up 4.6.1 and open up an empty project and let me know if you happen to see a discrepancy between that and 4.7.6.

Let me know if you want me to check anything for you.

Thanks again!

Hey

Would you be alright with checking in one of the 4.8 previews to ensure it’s still occuring? Internally, the bug that had entered was marked as cannot reproduce, which could mean that it was fixed by another dev doing optimizations.

Hey ,

Thanks for the response! I will absolutely try that out and let you know if it yields the same results.

Thanks!

Hey ,

I just tested this w/ the 4.8.0p4 build and it is definitely fixed. To be honest, I don’t think it was anything specific w/ the engine. I believe it was an issue w/ NVidia’s 9xx series drivers.

I have an old staging build from 4.6.1 and 4.7.0 and after testing multiple drivers and now sticking w/ the newest one released, believe it or not, the 4.7.0 build actually ran .5 ms quicker than the 4.6.1 build I initially thought was faster.

But either way, performance is now back to what I expect. Thanks again guys!!!

Well, glad it’s working. Wish it hadn’t taken this much trouble though :confused:

I’m not sure if any of you guys have tested with the 4.8.1 release, but I am having this issue now occurring with both testing in the editor and playing as a separate build. It runs fine for a few seconds and then freezes my entire computer. I’m running Core i7, two GTX970, 32 GB RAM, haven’t had any issues with other programs, tested everything that I can think to test. Any suggestions?