Computer freezes while working with 4.7.5

First time I just opened a new 3rd person project that had newly released official assets (https://www.unrealengine.com/content/1c3ff01e749c4e48a7e8c24a7128ce24) added. First I placed a rock and it took surprisingly long time for my computer to do it (a minute or so). Then I tried using one of new materials (from same assets collection) on landscape, aaaand then editor kinda froze, then all pc froze, so I had to kill pc by holding power button pressed.

Second time I created a new project, imported my own 3d model (less than 100 pollys) and applied several materials from editor to see how it looks. Then one material froze everything again. Now I’m scared to even launch engine.

When I had 4.6.x it was ok, I just installed 4.7.5 a few days ago just to try out those new assets. I’m thinking I should go back to 4.6.x since I need to do my university project, but how will I know if 4.7.5 is fixed?

Hi Dueldogg,

Thanks for opening this as a new post. So, trying to recreate your issue, I created a new project using Landscape Mountains feature pack and dragged a rock into scene, then a tree, and finally added a material from this pack to default BSP plane. All of these changes applied with no delay/freezing at all.

Please provide some more specific steps so that we can reproduce issue here in order to evaluate. For instance, am I using same assets you are? Are you creating a blank project and then adding assets? Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks again for your cooperation in troubleshooting this issue.

I’ve created your default 3rd person blueprint project, created some landscape, made a few little mountains and quited it. Then I added Landscape Mountains feature pack and dragged a rock to scene. And as I said it took a while to load shaders. Then I applied one of grass materials from same assets to landscape and it froze my computer.
I’m not saying that this might happen on any computer, maybe it’s specifically with my hardware, though I have no idea what could cause crash of whole pc.

Hi Dueldogg,

I’ve followed your repro steps and am still not able to get a crash or even a lag. system I’m testing on has 32GB of RAM and I noticed your system is only running 8GB of RAM. For test purposes can you try just migrating assets you want from Landscape Mountains feature pack into your project instead of adding entire feature pack and let us know if performance improves?

Thanks

Hi Dueldogg,

We haven’t heard back from you in a while, so I’m resolving this post for tracking purposes. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please feel free to respond with information requested above and we can continue looking into it. Thanks!

I had this issue in 4.9.2, Found out it is a driver issue. For me in particular I tried some nvidia beta drivers for VR that i guess didnt work so well with unreal engine… Lots of random freezes that made me have to hit hte power button on machine. Try rolling back your drivers or getting latest that are not beta. That fixed this issue for me.