4.6.1 InstancedStaticMeshComponent and Scene Outliner Editor Performance Dip

I have an actor that has an InstancedStaticMeshComponent, of which I add about 100 x 100, 10000 instances. Performance is fine while playing the game, nothing wrong there, however while I am playing the game and go to the Scene Outliner and click on the actor the editor hangs for about 20 seconds or so. When its finally done doing what its doing the editor runs at about 8 FPS. When I click on another object in the Scene Outliner the editor hangs for a while again, then when it comes back the FPS is normal again. When I reduce the amount of InstancedStaticMeshes it hangs for a shorter time and the FPS is not impacted as much.

Hi ,

Thank you for your report. I was able to reproduce this and have entered a bug report, UE-7808 to be assessed by the development staff.

Hello ,

I am really sorry for posting here on an old post.

I am facing a very similar issue with Hierarchial ISM.
My editor performance is really bad when i try to spawn above 10,000 instances.

This problem occurs only when i create a HISM component in c++ class.
Everything is fine when done with blueprint.

Here’s link to my answerhub post.
I have also uploaded my test project there.

[Answerhub post link][1]

It would really be helpful if you can look into it and confirm whether it’s a bug or i am doing something wrong there.

Thank you.

Weird behaviour of Hierarchial Instance static mesh,while adding instance from c++ code - Asset Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums