4.25.4 Hotfix released

Updating to 4.25.4 has rendered my project basically useless. As soon as a Blueprint/Widget of any kind is opened, the engine crashes with this error:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000038

I tried debugging the build with Visual Studio and the crash seems to be caused by a ‘read access violation’ in WidgetBlueprint.cpp (line 969) Screenshot

To anyone thinking of updating to 4.25.4 I would hold off if your project is of decent complexity as there seems to be some unknown incompatibilities with certain peoples projects.

A moment of silence and gratitude for all the comrades who updated and came here to report on their crashes/issues. I will hold off for now until I have everything backed up properly.

I am working on a physics based game so reading dodgy physics gave me quite a scare.

One more issue I discovered is a very concerning one. I am finding randomly disconnected parameters across some of my materials. It’s really hard to report this due to how random it is though :frowning:

Does anyone know if there is any way to downgrade back to 4.25.3? As soon as new hotfix version appears in the launcher, the previous one disappears :frowning:

The only way to downgrade AFAIK is to Build older versions of the engine from source. Epic have older version repo’s on their GitHub page which you can download and Build with Visual Studio. If you are using any Plugins from the Marketplace though, you will not be able to associate those with the source build, which was the deal breaker for me… (There probably is a way to get Plugins working with source builds but its ridiculous to have to go through all of these steps just to downgrade).

do not update to 4.25.4. My project has totally broken down, the connections between interfaces, blueprint and widgets work very badly. Some parts of the code works and some parts don’t, and I just don’t have any errors so it’s impossible to debug it.

I use Marketplace plugins with any version as long as they come with source code. Just have to recompile plugin for your source build using MSVC, if plugin can’t be rebuilt upon loading your project.

Thanks everyone for letting us know about your issues - we take hotfix regressions seriously and have informed the relevant teams.

As Victor mentioned, we’ve shared your responses with our teams, but it would also be helpful if you could provide bug reports with detailed notes to help our teams monitor and track down solutions. That is, if you haven’t already - thanks all!

@VictorLerp @Amanda.Schade Thanks for hearing us! If needed, I am more than happy to help with testing regarding this bug (I have a good example of the kind of project that is broken by the hotfix (I have filed a bug report and provided my project there also)) Let me know if I can help.

For what it’s worth, I debugged the crash with Visual Studio and it shows the crash being a result of a Read Access Violation in ‘WidgetBlueprint.cpp’.
Screenshot

Hi i wanted to let you guys at epic know that groom is causing frame rate loss occasionally.
i increased the frame rate in settings. But i still notice a frame drop.
Ive decided im not going to use the groom in my project. This really sucks because I really like the groom. But imo it definitely needs more work

bumping those issue. starting with 4.25 we switched to use the Material Layering system for our assets. but it looks like it gets worse than better?

For what’s worth new material layers are marked production-ready from 4.26, so you might encountered one of “beta bugs”… and it should get better in 4.26 :slight_smile:
If that comforts you any way… :wink:

Are we expecting there to be a 4.25.5 release to fix the new issues with this patch? I haven’t seen any activity on the 4.25 branch since 4.25.4’s release. Thanks!

Well, after updating to 4.25.4, I can’t open any of my projects through their project exe files now.
I can still run/open them via the Unreal Engine launcher so its not all too bad.
But any attempts to open a project via the project file is met with an “Error - Failed to launch editor” message.
I really should not have updated my engine version :confused:

This is fascinating, I was on 4.25.3 and suddenly I have not been able to open any 4.25 projects.
I am updating now to see if 4.25.4 fixes this, but it was not working on 4.25.3. I restarted my PC and had no updates system-wise, so it seemed bizarre.
CPU would start racing up towards 100% when project loaded up to 39%. No project was getting past 39% mark for some reason. Usually it zips right to 100%.
I’m wondering if some timing-code had been inadvertently introduced to the build, as in “after 11/8/2020, no project load beyond 39%”…It is 2020 after all!

EDIT:
No project will load past 39% on 4.25.4 for me.

EDIT2:
This is related to Raytracing, projects using DX11 load fine, but no project will load with DX12, in either 4.25 or 4.24…
I cannot ope a project in DX11, then switch to DX12, and then load it either. So mode DX12 is not working, projects won’t load past 39%.
Have not update Nvidia drivers in a while, but there was a Win10 update back in Mid October. I am curious if there is some issue here.

Wait for it - it’s rebuilding derived cache.

YES!
Hey, you are correct!..I let it run through, and it did process through eventually…It does work and now all projects are loading normally!!!

Motorsep - thank you for taking the time to point that out, that was very thoughtful and I appreciate your assistance!
APPLAUSE

No problem. Are you saying that 4.25.4 is actually usable and not broken?

I did, yes, update to 4.25.4 so it is loading the 4.25.3 and earlier created projects.
I was using 4.25.3, but then when it was stopping at 39%, I updated to 4.25.4 to see if that would fix.
As it turns out, I probably could have left it at 4.25.3 and let it run through the derived cache rebuild, but it just so happened that you had replied to my post after I had already updated.

So far I am not encountering anything unusual, but I haven’t target-tested the material things that were shown above.

Having read everyone’s problems with this fix, I’ve stopped installing 4.25.4. because of space I had to uninstall 4.25.3 and now it seems it’s not an option to re-install
. Only 4.24.4 or 4.24.3 ar available . What happenee and how can I get 4.25.3 back again I wonder. Is there another source than via the epic launcher library engine installs?

Thanka