4.23 - Niagara crashes constantly

I want to apologize in advance, because this is a rant. I know Niagara is experimental, and that means it will crash occasionally. But the frequency of crashes I’m experiencing is making me nuts.

I can’t seem to go 5 minutes without Niagara crashing. Ctrl-Z undo? Crash. Compile the emitter while playing? Crash. Compile the emitter while not playing? Crash. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to the crashes, so I don’t know what to do to avoid it. How am I supposed to attempt to use this in anything?

It sucks because Niagara has so much promise in terms of a generalized compute framework, but it’s been in “experimental” for how long? And still basically unusable. I was pleased to see Niagara integration with Chaos in 4.23, because to me, that implied that Niagara must have gotten a lot more love to be stable enough to integrate with another experimental plugin. But that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Again, sorry for ranting. I would like if we turned this into a thread about avoiding crashes in Niagara, since I personally haven’t found the stepping stones to walk on that don’t blow my leg off. Maybe others have some tips and tricks they can share?

2 Likes

Yes please, I don’t want my computer being destroyed by Niagara, I had 20 crashes yesterday.

I am glad to tell you.4.26 release vesion is the same.Always crash.