4.2 Release Notes

Congratulations on this new release!
Tons of improvements.

Is there an editor setting to enable light propagation volumes now?

Wow that is the biggest change log I’ve ever seen :slight_smile:
Pity I’m at work and can’t go home and play with it now! :frowning:
Awesome stuff guys!!

Wow! Huge release. Amazing work as always, guys. Very excited to implement camera animations in my game. :smiley:

I’m super excited to mess around with the new update :smiley: Thanks to everyone from Epic for the absolutely fantastic work!!

Oooops! 4.2 Release has a lower map versioning than the 4.2 preview:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/BrUnOXaVIeR/UEMapVer_zps4cb47093.jpg~original

Has this been fixed in 4.2?

Note: In the Vehicle Setup Guide, the " Creating the Vehicle Blueprint", “Creating the Wheel Blueprints”, and “Creating the TireType Data Asset” sections all start with the phrase “To create a new TireType Data Asset”

Good stuff.

This is a really impressive release. Please buy some kind of awesome sandwich and tell him it’s from me.

4.2.1 planned? Gonna wait for it a little.

I’m very happy that Epic Games released Unreal Engine 4.2. I have a few questions:

What is the springarm for?
How do I create driver’s eye view or interior view?
How should I name the parts of the 3D model of a vehicle in 3DS Max? I know that I need the body and four wheels.
What if I want the vehicle’s doors, hood, trunk lid, tailgate, and windows to open and close?
I tried to watch the videos but YouTube’s automatic “closed captioning” isn’t good.

Can we safely remove older versions of a marketplace demo or there could be something missing in new versions?

Eg.: “Content Examples” 4.0.2 is 4.69Gb, 4.1 is 3.05Gb, 4.2 is 3.35Gb , it’s that because of optimizations or there’s something missing?

Good catch! I’ve updated that doc locally, and it will be corrected in the next doc push.

Hi Stefan,

We will follow-up on this on your AnswerHub post.

Cheers

I’m having a problem where collision channels I have created in the editor don’t save and are no longer there when i relaunch the editor. Any idea whats causing this? It was working in the older versions.

This update is unreal. :smiley: This engine is taking off like a rocket. Thank you Epic, and community.

Hi Shammah,

This actually is exposed as a virtual, though in a roundabout way. A function marked as BlueprintNativeEvent gets an automatically generated virtual function with the same name with “_Implementation” appended to it. In this case we wanted to maintain backwards compatibility with the old blueprint callable CanJump() so had to add a CanJumpInternal() BlueprintNativeEvent. So in this case there is a:

virtual bool CanJumpInternal_Implementation() const

which you can override as you see fit. I’ll update the comments in the Character.h header to make it more clear. Sorry for the confusion!

I would really love to receive an official answer on this since all the content is being installed on the OS HD and it’s already filling up my 256Gb SSD drive :wink:

You can move the project folders elsewhere, they will still work.