4.2 Release Notes

WoW! What an update…Thanks for all the hard work Epic…Much appreciated…

Hey Dave,

As a previous Beta-tester, you can now use content from the old Beta-version of VehicleGame in your own project, just not to be distributed other users.

Cheers!

Woohoo :cool:
Thanks a million Stephen :smiley:

Realy nice, BluePrints re getting realy insane now.

Setting up large infinite sized streaming worlds with online support would be a good one! Complete with seamless planet surface-to-space transition! Sorry, had to.

Wouldn’t mind seeing more blueprint replication tutorials, specifically dealing with physics, animmontages. Controlling which bones are replicated in a ragdoll perhaps? Allowing an IK system to animate bones that are not being replicated.

Some tutorials to go with that new Fabrik IK system would be fun.

Personally I’m very interested in “Active” ragdolls, well pretty much everything Rosen covered in his GDC Talk about procedural animation as well as This old AIGameDev Article.

Edit:
Something I discussed at the Portland Developer meetup was the need for a Dev tracker on the forums. Often developers will point out better methods of doing things when they see an inefficient workflow, but those posts easily get lost. How about making tutorials of that nature? Where you address more efficient workflows based on common mistakes you see on the forums, kind of like critique sessions you see in some art classes.

I was also wondering if there are any significant changes to LPV in this build? Seeing that last time there there was a significant change in 4.1, it was only mentioned by a developer on Twitch.

This is why I’m glad to say I’m a glad subscriber! Thank you guys! To everyone who contributed, a sincere thanks!

Says content only projects can be built for IOS on Windows now. Does that mean we can build projects like Bird using Windows for iOS now? ^^;

Hey all,

I missed that had actually completed a video series on using the Physics Asset Tool (PhAT) and created a series of videos on working with Vehicles. Given you have to use the PhAT to get a functioning vehicle, I’d suggest taking a look at the PhAT videos then jumping into the Vehicle ones.

Also it looks like the documentation got uploaded, so the links to the vehicle documentation are now working.

Am I the only one downloading the update at very slow speed through the launcher? I checked various file downloads around the globe and I can pretty much cap my bandwidth everywhere save for this: the update starts downloading at 800-850 Kb/s but then in a few seconds it goes down to 150Kb/s, while every other download stays between 750/870(my cap)

I am only getting 150KB/s as well, usually I get 1MB while downloading UE.

Is anyone else getting “Subscribe to download”

-Account manager shows my account is “Active”, and still have access to github like usual.

Edit: Just deleted current install and reinstalled the launcher and it works.

I did get the “subscribe to download” but it went away after I closed and reopened the launcher.

Yeah, same here. Crawling along. Then again, by the time I’m done deep-reading the change log, the download is probably done :slight_smile:

I had that as well, but then I removed the special command line parameters used to get access to the earlier preview releases, and the problem went away.

Fantastic release by the way! Just mindblowing, really, now that I think about it.

Howdy everyone,

With the slow updates that multiple users are seeing, this could because of the massive flood of downloads that are going through currently. Just to be certain, we are looking into the downloading issue just to be sure that the massive flood is solely the cause of the slow downloads.

Thanks for your patience!

Wow a lot to study, great great update , thank you !

Super awesome!!!
Can’t wait to break my project. LOL

Thanks for the answer, anyway it’s worth noting that it’s just the update that is slow, downloading one of the files from the marketplace is working as intended.

I don’t know about the engine (I downloaded from GitHub). But I’m downloading ShooterGame 4.2 at 40~90 KB/s (my connection goes up to 1 MB/s).

Great job, I am getting a huge boost in FPS on 4.2.

It could probably speed up everyone’s downloads for the first bit after a release if you guys added opt-in peer-to-peer download accelerating, like BitTorrent or the Battle.net downloader. Then, after things even out again, disable peer-to-peer on everyone’s client again to save them bandwidth. (That said, I’m downloading it at full speed now, so it seems to work OK for me.)

Good changes throughout, although I wish the editor in Linux were sorted.