4.12 Released!

[=;540087]
It’s only noticeable on a mirror surface, so Roughness = 0.

It’s capped so that you don’t crash running out of video memory =) A single 1024 reflection capture is 255Mb, so it gets costly very quick.
[/]

Hmmm, is there still a way to brute force better quality reflections in the console files?

There was an old way that worked for SSR (from this blog)](3D Modeling & Texturing: [Unreal Engine 4] Improving Screen Space Reflections), but now that I switched to Planar reflections, I don’t think it works.

Ah you’re looking at SSR there, not reflection captures, hence the Reflection Capture resolution has no visible effect. There’s a cvar that controls SSR quality: r.SSR.Quality. However, SSR is never going to be that great, as it’s operating on your depth buffer (off screen artifacts + doesn’t know how thick objects are).

TEXT("r.SSR.Quality"),
TEXT("Whether to use screen space reflections and at what quality setting.

“)
TEXT(”(limits the setting in the post process settings which has a different scale)
“)
TEXT(”(costs performance, adds more visual realism but the technique has limits)
“)
TEXT(” 0: off (default)
“)
TEXT(” 1: low (no glossy)
“)
TEXT(” 2: medium (no glossy)
“)
TEXT(” 3: high (glossy/using roughness, few samples)
“)
TEXT(” 4: very high (likely too slow for real-time)"),

Hmm, strange. For some reason it still looks ugly in the default level.

I loaded up my current project I’m working on and everything works there. I’m satisfied with the new settings so everything is ok now. Thanks! :slight_smile:

http:///PCfhCDE.jpg

I had to reinstall Android Works and SDK but I got VR to work on empty scene easy peasy!! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! So many possibilities now!

Has the behaviour of the material Time node changed in 4.12? Now when I’m in the editor, any materials that are animated based on the Time node only update when I move the camera, otherwise they stop updating. This behaviour is definitely new, but I don’t see any references in the release notes. It’s a real pain when iterating on animated materials. Is there an option somewhere I’m missing maybe?

[=keithoconor;540158]
Has the behaviour of the material Time node changed in 4.12? Now when I’m in the editor, any materials that are animated based on the Time node only update when I move the camera, otherwise they stop updating. This behaviour is definitely new, but I don’t see any references in the release notes. It’s a real pain when iterating on animated materials. Is there an option somewhere I’m missing maybe?
[/]

looks like realtime is disabled for your editor…look in the viewport top left corner arrow and enable it

[=mserena;540172]
looks like realtime is disabled for your editor…look in the viewport top left corner arrow and enable it
[/]

Yup, that’ll do it - thanks! Maybe it wasn’t the upgrade and I just hit Ctrl+R by accident.

Cant change any values on imports, such as scale, or rotations for skeletal meshes specifically…how is that now busted?

[]
**New: Grass and Foliage Scalability **
The scalability system has a new Foliage scalability setting. Landscape grass and foliage density can be reduced automatically based on the current scalability setting, and the setting is able to be changed at runtime, so games can implement a foliage detail setting slider.
[/]

A development question:
How difficult is it to incorporate this in older versions? Is it simply shuffling the list of generated foliage instances so that cropping it from the end during runtime results in random foliage instances being taken away instead of the ones farthest away. I we wanted to incorporate this in for example 4.8.3 source code, would it be a contained piece of code that needs modifying or would it be a larger operation spanning multiple code snippets? Can you point us to the source code files that are responsible for this new ?

Just a heads up…

I’m not sure that the new material functions from the awesom @ are in the release of 4.12. I remember seeing them committed to a while ago but seems to have missed 4.12. Could we get them in a hotfix please?

Thanks Epic Team! 4.13 will release ES3.1 ? Most devices do not support ES3.1+AEP.

Thanks EPIC! Awesome release.
I’m very thankful for sequencer, planar reflections and the improved Actor Merge Tool.

When will the documentation and content example project be updated?

Hi Epic, Thank you for your work and the new version.

I have a basic questions.

Vive Chaperone is still “Wavy” in 4.12 when I using thisdocs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/SteamVR/QuickStart/2/index.html
Only deselect “auto manage active camera target” help meanswers.unrealengine.com/questions/407349/chaparone-bounds-lag-behind-geometry.html

My questions:

1. The setting doc is obsolete?
  2. I missed something in doc?
  3. I have to use a paid Epic support?
  4. It is blocking against development?
  5. Can I get an official response?

Thank you very much.
Michal

[= ]
New: A slew of new material functions are available in the material editor: …]
[/]

I wanted to test these out, but I think I’m missing something. They’re not available in the Material Editor. Any guess why?

Hi, just a reminder that if you believe you have found a defect in the 4.12 release…

REMEMBER: Please report any new bugs you find to the UE4 Answerhub

WOO. Got my name in the credits of the engine… today is a good day!

Thanks for all the hard work Epic, 4.12 is feeling pretty tight out of preview <3

[=;540401]
WOO. Got my name in the credits of the engine… today is a good day!

Thanks for all the hard work Epic, 4.12 is feeling pretty tight out of preview <3
[/]

Not me, I feel left out :frowning:

I also got the shortest entry of the whole changelog, haha. “Improved in-game console”!

Import Scene –> FBX environment to import.

I´m interested in this one. Does this take instanced meshes in the 3D editor software into account? If my level I´ve created in 3ds contains only a box but with a lot of instances (i.e. different scale, ), is the importer clever enough to just create one static mesh or will I end up with static mesh_1, static mesh_2 in the content browser?

So can I create my whole level in my 3D package instead of the editor?

[=]
Guys, “r.ScreenPercentage.Editor 1” is not working anymore. I’ve just double checked the PPV Screen Percentage setting and also forced a value via r.ScreenPercentage command and it won’t work… In 4.11.2 it’s working fine.
[/]

Hey ,

I have entered the bug report for the ScreenPercentage.Editor, UE-31549 , for further investigation. Thanks for letting us know and best of luck in your projects.

Cheers

This update has not been happy for me so far, I submitted my to answer hub but I figured I’d repost it here incase anyone knows what’s up.

[=AnswerHub]

I’ve been working on my game since UE 4.7 and every update has gone well except this one.

At first it would crash the game when launched on start up, this was resolved by adding a delay to the play sound node that I used to play music on start up. After that I made it to the menu and the next series of crashes were provoked by a spawn 2D sound node. Again adding a delay stops it from crashing.

After that I can get my levels to load but something is still provoking a crash and I don’t know what it is and the logs aren’t giving me more info.

Strangely enough if I export it to my iphone it works perfectly and loads very quickly with out any hitches.

Does anyone know what is going on?
[/]