"Wavy" chaperone

I’m having an issue that is causing serious seasickness.

If you watch the video below, you can see my problem.
It’s not really obvious, but there is no “wavyness” when in the steam mode, the chaperone is completely fixed relative to the white floor.
But when I change to my “game”, running directly from the editor, you can see that the chaperone is somewhat detached from the floor, kind of floating relative to the floor. If you watch the line in the floor in relation to the chaperone grid, it’s pretty easy to see.
The chaperone is nicely situated right at the floor. So it’s not perspective cause the issue.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this?

I made another video detailing the problem.
Sorry about the audio.

If you have a fix for this, please let me know.
Or if you have the same problem, please post here so we can maybe get Epics attention and a fix.

I’m seeing the exact same thing in 4.12.0 when I tried it. I’m just starting out developing for the Vive so I’m sticking with 4.11.2 for now. What version do you see it in?

same here :frowning: 4.11.2

Tested with my setting from “Zero” and with Steam VR Template.

Come join us in this fun thread here :slight_smile:

New finding,
When I use this:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/SteamVR/QuickStart/2/

and in step 10. I use 0 Z height /0,0,0/ :

…10. Select the Player Start and position it so that the center of the Player Start is just above the Static Mesh used for the ground. In this example we used a Z height of 1.0 CM for the Player Start.

…everything works fine.

correcting - New finding -Chaperone floating
when I change in Project Setting/Maps&Modes/DefaultModes/
Default GameMode from “VR” to Game Mode
Chaperone is sticky.
Problem is in VR gameMode

Has no effect for me. Also this will mean your floor height is off by a cm in game I believe.

It’s in all versions at present as far as I can tell. happens in 4.11.0, 1 and 2, and I guess 4.12 too!

I’ve tried two personal projects from scratch in case I messed something up and three projects shared among the community and they all have the same issue, all the “fixes” seem to be workarounds that cause other problems, has anyone managed to resolve this?

I have also tried a couple of “solutions”. No fix that just works. Controllers seems to be the hardest to fix for me.
I found one solution that fixes the camera situation, but it makes the controllers detached from the headset and move in “mirror”… so If I stand in one side of the play area, the controllers are opposite. And I believe there are position issues with that option as well, where you can’t read the HMD position in BP.

You can see that solution in this thread, it’s in the bottom:

Yeah indeed, need clarity from epic on this. If I cant reliably use the Camera as a reference point as the documentation says I need to know now so I can work around it. At the moment I’m just trying to ignore the wavy chaperone, hoping that it gets fixed.

The response from Epic’s Chad Taylor on the following thread makes it sound like it’s an issue that was fixed…

*"Thanks for the report and apologies. The “buffered frames” part is an inadvertently disabled HMD late-update. I’ve submitted a fix so 4.11 release will be good to go.

If you need to get it working ASAP you can go to:

\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Steam\SteamVR\Source\SteamVR\Private\SteamVRHMD.cpp

and uncomment the code body for the “PreRenderView_RenderThread” function."*

If it’s the same problem perhaps the fix hasn’t made it through yet for some reason?

Hey Epic? are you listening? This is a somewhat serious issue holding quite a few people back.

To those of you who have the same issues. Please post in either thread on answerhub:

Or this thread:

Ok, it is somehow related to adding a camera to a pawn.
When you don’t add a camera to your pawn, the chaperone stays rock solid in place. Adding a camera adds the wavy feel.

Edit - Ok, so it looks like Epic have responded in 's second linked thread. So they are aware and are looking at it I guess!

Yeah, there’s a few threads going on regarding this issue. Removing the camera does fix it, but doing so means getting HMD position and rotation gets harder I believe. Also you run in to problems with the motion controller position too. As I understand it Epic’s own guide is to add a camera to the player pawn and add the MC’s as children of the camera. I’m not sure why Epic aren’t answering in this or any of the other threads. It seems like Chaperone is simply broken when you set it up as they advise and has been for a long while o_O. Unless this is only affecting a small number of people perhaps.

@Allar seems to have the same setup as us, a pawn with a camera. But he is not experiencing the wavyness. What gives Epic?

Same problem here. Anyone managed to resolve this and keep the controllers working?

I have found no lasting fix for this.

I will test sunday to see if it is fixed in todays 4.12 release.

Downloading 4.12, I’ll do tests too.

Chaperone is still “Wavy” in 4.12 :frowning: when I using this https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/SteamVR/QuickStart/2/index.html

Only “auto manage active camera target” help me Chaperone bounds lag behind geometry - XR Development - Unreal Engine Forums

:confused::mad::frowning: