4.10 Assert fail when ShooterBot respawns

I’ve been doing C++ work to the Shooter Game example for several months now, and after updating to 4.10 I am getting an issue where the game crashes when a ShooterBot respawns. It seems to be something that happens when AGameMode::RestartPlayer() is called, which subsequently calls AShooterAIController::Possess(). I haven’t modified AShooterAIController::Possess() in any way, and I’m still digging for the solution to this problem. I would appreciate some help.

MachineId:3D83BB8745E2FECD806A0F8FC905A430
EpicAccountId:6c14aff20c4647fcb1fd613877e452df

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Assertion failed: !DelegateInstanceInterface->IsSameFunction(*InDelegateInstance) [File:d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\publ

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:374]
UE4Editor_AIModule!TBaseMulticastDelegate::AddDelegateInstance() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:775]
UE4Editor_AIModule!TBaseMulticastDelegate::AddUObject() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:696]
UE4Editor_AIModule!UPathFollowingComponent::SetMovementComponent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\private\navigation\pathfollowingcomponent.cpp:495]
UE4Editor_AIModule!UPathFollowingComponent::UpdateMovementComponent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\private\navigation\pathfollowingcomponent.cpp:1148]
UE4Editor_AIModule!AAIController::Possess() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\private\aicontroller.cpp:459]
UE4Editor_ShooterGame_8808!AShooterAIController::Possess() [c:\users\john\documents\unreal projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\bots\shooteraicontroller.cpp:27]
UE4Editor_Engine!AGameMode::RestartPlayer() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gamemode.cpp:492]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTimerUnifiedDelegate::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\engine\public\timermanager.h:38]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTimerManager::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\timermanager.cpp:439]
UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:1212]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1347]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:361]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2427]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
kernel32
ntdll

Hi Stone Razor,

• Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content or is it limited to one project?
  • Have you tried this in an unmodified version of Shootergame, do you see the same error occur?
  • Can you post your crash logs here so I can take a look? They can be found at \Unreal Project\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs\
  • Are you using the launcher or github version of the editor?

Thanks for replying , but after a nights sleep I found out what the problem was. The problem did not occur on the Highrise map from the original Shooter Game, nor on a fresh copy. The problem only occurred on maps that I had made myself. So I searched for differences between the Epic Games maps and my own, and I was made aware of the existence of the handy entity “NavMeshBoundsVolume” which tells an AI bot where it can walk. That thing is super useful!

The map I made did not have a NavMeshBoundsVolume, which was causing the game to crash when the AI bot respawned. It also caused the game to load VERY slowly when running the game with Alt+P, which was frustrating.

I downloaded a fresh copy of ShooterGame, went into Highrise, deleted the NavMesh, and I can confirm that this reproduces the crash. You can probably mark this problem as solved.

The map I made did not have a
NavMeshBoundsVolume, which was causing
the game to crash when the AI bot
respawned. It also caused the game to
load VERY slowly when running the game
with Alt+P, which was frustrating.

I downloaded a fresh copy of
ShooterGame, went into Highrise,
deleted the NavMesh, and I can confirm
that this reproduces the crash. You
can probably mark this problem as
solved.