3rd Person FreeRunning/Parkour Prototype - Video Added

Ive started to create a freerunning/parkour game, im thinking i want to have a dark, graffiti covered city and have graffiti implemented into gameplay (able to create tags/pieces from preset letters or upload custom designs and paint them in game. Would also have police AI that patrol areas and will chase you if seen, so the parkour would help to escape and reach higher/better places to tag, im an artist and graffiti artist myself so i could do the art style myself). I need some input on what to do, and any suggestions on how to do so, as this is only my second attempt at a game (first is still a WIP side scroller https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?74728-Prototype-Z-A-Side-Scrolling-Adventure-Slacker )

1. Gamefeatures

Gamefeatures Done:
-Enemy AI “catching hero”: chasing hero and returning to home location when out of sight. Resets level when caught by AI and plays caught animation.
-Pistol Animations
-Jumping (Combat Jump, Backflip, Frontflip and Vault)
-Sprint/Running Implemented
-Combat Mode Toggle
-Aim Offset for Pistol
-Bullet Actor, set to fire out of Pistol to looking direction with 0.8 second delay between shots, (Causes death when hitting AI)
-Ledge Climbing (Animations need tweaking/smoothing)

Gamefeatures To Do:
-Ledge Shimmy (Left/Right Climb)
-Ladder Climbing (maybe, may be unneeded due to ledge climbing and parkour abilities)
-Inventory and Status (health)
-Mission Objectives/Quests
-Spray Paint Mechanics/Animations
-Load/Save Menu
-Pause/Option Menu
-Sneak / Crouch Toggle and Animations
-Punching/Hand-To-Hand Combat - 70% Complete (Animation plays but does nothing)
-Advanced AI

NEW - Ledge Climb system put in place, its not perfect, some animations need tweaking to look smoother, but so far its looking pretty good. Here’s the video to show the ledge climb and layout of how i want the map to look (small layout so far, example map, if you will) there is more detail on the ground level, dumpsters, garbage bags, barrels, crates, etc. but this video is only showing ledge climb and buildings.

RECENT CONTENT - NEWEST ABOVE
New AI Added. Chase player when in their sight range, and return to home location when player is no longer visible, and die when shot by gun and trigger “caught” animation when touches player and restarts level.

Much new content added into game mechanics. Now have pistol, which you are able to equip and unequip while playing, with animations, via combat mode toggle button, ive set the new walk anims for combat mode and the aim offset, and also set the diff combat mode jump start, loop, and end. The combat mode jump animations were cut and edited by me from one pistol jump anim. and im currently working on the shooting mechanics for the gun. ive got the bullet, and sound set up and it shoots out, working on the collision assets so it stops going right through the landscape and buildings. Coming along nicely so far. Video below. and can post screens of blueprint layouts if anyone is interested.

Ive implemented a vault action, that makes your character do a small jump over obstacles too high to step and were a normal jump is too much (seen in beginning of video) and ive updated a course, along the lines of a cityscape, were graffiti will be added to the landscape and possibly implemented into gameplay.

heres the video

Courtesy To Mixamo for Anims and Base Character Models

All feedback is appreciated, thanks. -Slacker-

mixamo needs to add better animations for start, idle jumps

i agree, but what they do have is enough to get a nice prototype layout configured, other than Mixamo not having the greatest selection for start and idle jumps, is there anything else about what ive got setup that youd like to see implemented or taken out? and which story/layout idea that i spoke about would you rather see?

Ive implemented a vault action, that makes your character do a small jump over obstacles too high to step and were a normal jump is too much (seen in beginning of video) and ive updated a course, along the lines of a cityscape, were graffiti will be added to the landscape and possibly implemented into gameplay.

heres the video

Much new content added into game mechanics. Now have pistol, which you are able to equip and unequip while playing, with animations, via combat mode toggle button, ive set the new walk anims for combat mode and the aim offset, and also set the diff combat mode jump start, loop, and end. The combat mode jump animations were cut and edited by me from one pistol jump anim. and im currently working on the shooting mechanics for the gun. ive got the bullet, and sound set up and it shoots out, working on the collision assets so it stops going right through the landscape and buildings. Coming along nicely so far. Video to be posted later today. and can post screens of blueprint layouts if anyone is interested.

New video of most recent developments.

New AI added into gameplay, who chase you when within their sight range and die and go into ragdoll when shot. video soon, looking for any feedback

New AI added. Chase player when in their sight range, and return to home location when player no longer visible. Die when shot by bullet and trigger “caught” animation when touches player and restarts level.

New ledge climbing system added into game mechanics, and new level layout created (more buildings and areas to climb)… i must say its coming along nicely, new video showing climbing system and level layout soon. (climbing system still needs tweaking, but looks okay for now, needs smoother animations, but not bad for first attempt at anything like this)

Updated with video, ledge climb system, not perfect yet, some spots need tweaking, to smooth out animations, but so far it looks pretty good, first time trying a climb system.

anyone have any comments or suggestions for what I have so far?

That backflip was fantastic hahaha.

Looks like a fantastic system. You should implement fall damage, then you have a solid element of danger.

That backflip was fantastic hahaha.

Looks like a fantastic system. You should implement fall damage, then you have a solid element of danger.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback! glad to hear you like what I’ve got on the go, got some big plans for it, and a story line idea started. Fall Damage was for sure the next thing I was going to put into it, that as well as health and stamina bar along with crosshair and “wallet” (money interface)