3ds to UE4 FBX "Non orthogonal matrix support" (need help)

Hello there!
I recently rigged and animated a model for my project, but when I tried to export it I got this error:

One or more objects in the scene has local axes that are not perpendicular to each other (non-orthogonal).
The FBX plug-in only supports orthogonal (or perpendicular) axes and will not correctly import or export any transformations that involve non-perpendicular local axes.
This can create an inaccurate appearance with the affected objects:
-Rig1LDigit11LH
-Rig1LDigit12LH
-Rig1LDigit21LH
-Rig1LDigit22LH
-Rig1RDigit11RH
-Rig1RDigit12RH
-Rig1RDigit21RH
-Rig1RDigit22RH

All those bones belong to the hands of my character. How can I fix it? Many thanks.

Do you work with 3DS max ?
If yes, you can use reset Xform tool to “re-orthogonalize” your bone.
De connect it from his parent before.
But be aware that the problem will propage to the children of the bone… So, you’ll have to do this with all the hierarchy Under your bone.
Before to do that, I suggest you to check if your animation is broken because it may be perfectly imported.
Non orthogonal axes are just a warning and may not causes problems :slight_smile:

Yes I use 3ds max. I tried Reset Xform but when I tried to export the animation and mesh I still got the same error.
I tried to import the model with animation in UE4, but as I said the animation was ‘flickery’ and didn’t look right.
Thanks for your help!

I think I had the exact same problem…
Try this : Strange problem with FBX import - Animation - Unreal Engine Forums

I think the cause of this is if you scale your bones. You really should never do this, regardless. Use the Bone Tools to edit your bones, never manually scale them. To fix you could try the Bone Tools reset options. Though I’ve never had this problem and don’t know if this will actually work or not.

If JoGoiA’s import tip works for you, that’s good but I would always suggest that you fix the root of the problem in a case like this where it could possibly ripple through the project, even if there’s some sort of workaround. If it’s a small one use isolated case, that’s fine but if you’re gonna do a lot with this model/rig, I would just suggest to fix it rather. Even if you have to recreate the bones, better safe than sorry.