3D Widget is Unusable - Glitching and Flickering

How do I get this weird rendering issue to stop?

I have a blueprint that causes this 3D Widget to follow the position and rotation of an arrow attached to my VRPawn. For some reason, nearly every time the widget moves, the text I’m showing starts to flicker uncontrollably and it’s extremely distracting.

It seems to only show up within the HMD itself. The “VR Preview” window doesn’t show anything wrong with the text, so I was only able to capture this bug from running a separate instance of Oculus Mirror (I have a CV1 for reference).

These are my rendering settings:

• Dynamic Global Illumination Method = Lumen
  • Reflection Method = Lumen
  • Reflection Capture Resolution = 32
  • Nanite = Enabled
  • Forward Shading = Disabled
  • Stereo Foveation Level (Experimental) = Medium
  • Dynamic Foveation (Experimental) = Enabled
  • Instanced Stereo = Disabled
  • Anti-Aliasing Method = AAM_TSR
  • MSAA Sample Count = 4x MSAA

And the 3D Widget’s material:

• Material Domain = Surface
  • Blend Mode = Translucent
  • Shading Model = Unlit
  • Screen Space Reflections = Disabled
  • Contact Shadows = Disabled
  • Output Depth and Velocity = Enabled
  • Responsive AA = Disabled
  • Translucency Pass = After Motion Blur
  • Disable Depth Test = Enabled

Please let me know if there are any other relevant settings I left out. Thank you in advance for any assistance here, I’ve been struggling with this issue for weeks.

Those look like artifacts from motion vector reprojection. You can confirm it by turning off Asynchronous Space Warp in the Oculus software.

Apart from getting the application to render at the HMD frame rate, an option might be to put the text in a stereo layer. That way it is passed to the runtime separately from the rest of the scene and composited after the reprojection.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.