3D UE - 4 - 5 PRACTICAL hardware requirements for a desktop computer - specific query

Hi

I wanted to ask about the overall hardware performance and the hardware itself for Unreal Engen and 3D design for the EU.

I mean components for a desktop computer - not a laptop!

I don’t know how to approach this. A few years ago I was doing hardware fittings for designing long scenes in 3D.

I→. Processor … it is known that the better, the more efficient. I mean, first of all, the number of cores.

How many cores would the processor need and what technologies, e.g. is virtualization support needed? I mean processors in these categories:

1.minimum,
2.good
3.optimal
4. fast

II. → Graphics card… how much RAM, bandwidth, rendering units etc would have to be?

1.minimum,
2.good,
3.optimal
4. fast

For example, would the AMD Radeon RX580 8 GB of RAM be equal to the performance of a graphics card for professionals, eg FirePro W5000 2 GB of RAM?

Over a year ago, I bought two graphics cards at a low price, before of the card’s overall price increases: the FirePro V5800 1GB and the FirePro W5000 2GB. Can they still be used?

How are the performance cards for professionals in Unreal Engine?
Will the sample graphics card for players with 8 - 12 - 16 GB of RAM - eg Radeon 6800 or Gforce 2080x be better than the card for professionals with 4 or 8 GB of RAM?

III →. RAM memory … from what I read on this forum, with a size of 16 GB of frames, it can already be rendered.

As I understand it, 16 GB is the minimum, 32 GB is the normal size, 64 GB is the optimal size and everything above will be just faster.

Yesterday I increased the ram memory from 32 gb to 64 gb. I did this because I noticed faster wear of the SSD. My old Corsair 1TB SSD is 95% efficient after two years. The new 2TB PNY drive, after a month it already has 96% … it’s scary.

I actually tested this drive a bit … I ran Prey game and streamed the desktop at the same time. I wanted to check the performance and load with high resolution.
At the same time, I enabled a few more processes and a browser. The output video files ranged from 40 to over 100 GB.
Maybe I overdid it… but the Corsair was more durables.

To sum up, I mean these three components of the PC … I omit the issues of motherboards, ATX power supplies, disk etc. because they are side issues.

Has anyone done it in practice?

I would like to add that I am not a follower of any brand … although I have a greater weakness for some of them.

I just mean a practical comparison. Many of you have worked with different cards and processors… I’m just asking about practical performance.

FINALLY, I would like to ask about accessories for design in terms of convenience and speeding up the work.

Does anyone use a trackball for example with Unreal Engine?
I know there are 3D manipulators … but they are quite expensive.

My kit is a standard Vacom usb graphic tablet and mouse.

— If I placed an inquiry in the wrong section, please transfer it., Thank You

My 2¢ as of 2022 MC (mid-Covid)

CPU: you can do absolutely fine with lower than min, but were I to buy today for any serious work, I wouldn’t go below min

1. min: 4 cores / 8 thread, no older than 2 gens
  2. good: 6/12, like AMDs 5600x or 10/16 Intel 12600k (last gen is more than fine, too!)
  3. optimal: 12/24, like AMDs 5900x or whatever Intel offers at this price point (last gen is more than fine, on both sides)
  4. optimal+++ 16/32 AMD 5950x | 16/24 Intel 12900k (spicy but pricy)
  5. £ $ € Threadripper € $ £

GPU: you can absolutely make cool stuff on a below min 4GB $100 GPU

1. min: 4GB nVidia 1050 or AMD 560
  2. good: 2060 / 2070 with either 6/8/12GB
  3. optimal: 2080 / 3070
  4. fast: 3080 / 3090 (24GB!)

FirePro V5800 1GB and the FirePro W5000 2GB. Can they still be used?

They will choke. 99.9% of users will be much better off with a ‘gaming’ grade GPU.

RAM - you got that covered.

SSD: you shouldn’t worry. Here’s my system win10 SSD that I’ve never formatted (5-7 y/o ?!),

And here’s another SSD, 10 yo (?), formatted last year:

yay, like new!

NVMe drives are more durable anyhow.

Also, benchmarks:

And:

1 Like

Thanks very much for reply … very honest answer. This was exactly the answer I expected.

I just replaced the ram memory … as always in such cases, I have the impression that it is better and the sun is shining brighter.

My motherboard is bursting at the seams … this is the absolute maximum for her.

Nothing tests hardware like cheap games on Steam with requirements like the hardware in a calculator. Everything howls and rumbles.

For now, I guess I’ll stay with the equipment I have

I will just ask and remind you about the trackball … does anyone use it?

Thanks again for the answer :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

PS.

I forgot to ask about another Ram issue …

I understand that 64 GB of RAM is sufficient, however, but if I had to add 128 - 256 GB of RAM - in total … would it improve the work in the EU - 3D?

… will I notice a difference between 64 - 128 - 256 GB RAM?
How big and how significant?

This is related to the replacement of the platform which I have been thinking for some time … among others because of on new standard: Thunderbolt