3d model fade in/out

This is most likely PostProcessing, blending between a background and a rendered scene within a PostProcess material. You can use a CustomDepth value per character to create a mask for this.

Hi
I was playing Ace attorney chronicles and noticed that the 3d characters have a perfect fade in/out like they are 2d sprites(while clearly, they aren’t). You cant see the back parts of the geometry) It also doesn’t look like they’re using render textures to project those 3d images(they interact with the environment, and they also don’t seem to be using mask mode and dithering the characters out either.) So, any ideas how they pulled this off?

you can see it here at this timestamp The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles Walkthrough Gameplay Part 1 - No Commentary (PC) - YouTube (several characters appear and disappear)

thanks in advance!

Hi! I just want to know a little bit more, you don’t want to use translucency to avoid performance impact?

If i could not use translucency would be better for performance and for the shading to be more consistent as well. But even using translucency …not sure how I would get that effect(as if theyre translucent id see the "backfaces " and other meshes(like eyeballs and stuff) of stuff as things begin to disappear

I think Seda145 answer is the right path for you, I went ahead and did a custom material that applies to your case here you have it

in the material there are two options

One (the top one) to use if your characters are goin to be one on each half of the screen this way you won’t have to assign different values to each character’s stencil and modify the material to add values.

The other (Bottom One) if your characters aren’t gonna be one in each half of the screen, with this one you’ll need to assign different stencil values to each character and modify the "Masking character with Stencil value" part of the material to add indexes.

Hope it helps!

Edit, this is a post process material!!