3D Headphone Spatialization on 4.8

Anybody can help me how can I activate the 3D Spatialization?

I have to install the Oculus Audio SDK Plugin? I didn’t find the Unreal plugin in this link:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/audio/0.10.2/Oculus_Audio_SDK_Plugins/

Just FMOD, Unity, VST ans Wwise…

Hey there,
Hope this can help. Please let me know if it works.

1. Open up a new Unreal 4.8 project
  2. Go to the Window (tab at the top) >> Plugins >> Audio >> Oculus Audio Plug >> click on the ‘Enable’ tab
  3. Reopen the Unreal 4.8 project
  4. In the ‘Content Browser’ select ‘Import’ and import a wav file
  5. Drag your .wav into the editor
  6. Now in your ‘Content Browser’ right-click go to ‘Sounds’ and create ‘New Sound Attenuation’
  7. Double-click on the ‘Sound Attenuation’ you just created
  8. Check off ‘Spatialize’ and ‘Spatialization Algorithm’ should be set to ‘spatialization HRTF’
  9. Now double-click on the ‘Audio Component’ you had thrown into the scene
  10. Under it’s ‘Details’ tab look for and enable ‘Allow Spatialization’
  11. Then under that where it says ‘Attenuation Settings’ choose the attenuation component you just created.
  12. Make sure you’re using a MONO sound source. I just spent two hours on this with a Stereo file duh!
    Now as you walk around and away from the audio source it should smoothly transition around your head.

Thanks so much for clarifying this! I’ve been looking forward to the binaural features in 4.8 but didn’t see any mention in skimming the enormous release notes.

Oh wait, there it is, way down under the Barely Noteworthy :stuck_out_tongue: (“Other”) section:

I would’ve thought there’d be a big, bold “Oculus” section near the top after they discussed the new Vive/SteamVR and Sony Morpheus features…

dam* unfortunately not working on the GearVR :frowning: :frowning: sound plays but no 3D spatialization

According to the Oculus Audio SDK download page mobile is supported:
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/audio/0.10.2/Oculus_Audio_SDK_Plugins/

Just not working with UE4.8 it seems - Unity is mentioned there as supporting mobile regrettably … was really hoping this would work out of the box for gearVR and UE4.8 …

Not working on mac either. Any roadmap for cross platform support?

I’m on windows 8.1 and I can’t get HRTF to work either. The plugin is activated, it’s a Mono source, I’ve tried endless combinations of checking and unchecking spatialize and I’ve had no luck. It only pans and does distance attenuation.

wow, these forums are dead.

It does (basically) work for me now, see https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=24572 (seems like they just hacked-in the very basic stuff for their GDC demos, holding the main-part back until their audio engine rework was done).

I think they know they need to rebuild their audio engine. Thank you for the link! Crossing my fingers :slight_smile:

(Crossing them together with you)

Heya!

I got this working based on the instructions above and what posted on the Oculus Forum. Note that in 4.8.1 I did have to recompile my code-based project as the engine complained that the Oculus Audio Plug-in was out of date.

My test was to have my pistol fire sound use the Oculus audio plug-in, and move the pistol around my head using the Razer Hydra (here’s my game for some context). While testing it out, I made sure my headphones had no effects on, including turning off the Dolby stereo enhancer.

My results were rather disappointing. I was able to get some sense of the location the sound was coming from, but a lot of the time it was wrong. Side-to-side works, and up sort of worked (though not to the extent of being able to pinpoint the sound in space). Moving the sound down past my ear level made it seem like the sound source was actually moving up and slightly behind. Placing the sound source directly behind my head mostly worked.

However, the worst case was in front directly between the ears (arm straight out in front and in line with the nose). Rather than the sound being loud in both ears, the high frequencies cut out and the low frequencies became quieter. Not at all what I would have expected based on how my own ears work. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve decided that this isn’t ready yet for actual use, and have gone back to standard stereo. I was looking forward to doing a video showing this off in UE4, but that will have to wait.

Yes, currently it really doesn’t sound very natural. I hope this will change in the future.

I ended up jumping through hoops thinking it wasn’t working when it was. It seems it just isn’t working well enough to make much of a difference. Positional sound in VR is really important. I hope people at epic aren’t underestimating it and I hope I don’t end up porting to an engine that has a better sound engine.

The audio engine is currently being re-written from the ground up but I have no ETA on when it will be completed.

Yep I’ve just tried this and am getting the same kind of results reported here. I did try 's suggesions from here https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=24572 and it seemed to improve things slightly when compared to the instructions mentioned in the 2nd post in this thread.

Is there any news on how the new audio engine is coming along and if we’ll see full Oculus Audio SDK integration soon?

I know I’m 2 months late to this thread, but I love you. Thanks!!!