(39) 's Extra Blueprint Nodes for You as a Plugin, No C++ Required!

Hey , are you still taking requests?

If yes, would it be possible to add something like ?

Hi there!

What is the benefit of function / BP node?

Any sort of pictoral example?

Thanks!

Yes I can surely do that, but can you be specific about what you want node for?

If you just want to store data you should use a BP of the GameInstance class, or you can use the globally accessible Game Data that I describe in my wiki here, already implemented by Epic for storing data in a UObject format:

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums!

:slight_smile:

I donā€™t have a pictorial example, but it allows you to update any Texture2D surface with new color data at runtime in a threaded manner (the render command puts it into the rendering thread, so the game thread wonā€™t hitch). I use it myself for updating a Texture2D with large amounts image data from disk so it wonā€™t hitch/pause the game thread.

It could be useful for a lot of things, like doing a live painting application (would need to figure out UV raycasting, though, to know where to put the color data when the user presses), bullet holes/slashes on skinned meshes (again needs UVs tho), or any number of things.

Oh that does sound neat!

Well if youā€™d like, you could download my latest plugin version, add the relevant code to the specifications that you know are correct, and then you could pm me when ready!

Have fun today!

Absolutely :slight_smile: Iā€™ll get that sorted.

One other thing that the command can be useful for is to easily create an RTS fog of war (I go over a bit here).

Iā€™d love to help sort out raycasting against UVs, especially for skinned characters, as thatā€™d give the ability to do dynamic, location-accurate decals (not Decals as in the , just updated texture colors) on skinned meshes when combined with the texture update method. That would be great for doing damage from cuts or even projectiles and have them show up in the right spot. If right you could even update normals or other maps to change how the material looks for those areas that were updated.

Okay great, let me know when the BP code is tested and ready to go!

Regarding the matter of ray casting against UVs , I donā€™t have the at the moment to look deep into , so if you find out any leads on let me know! Might require some engine modifications :slight_smile:

** Victory BP Library Nodes

Get Current Operating System

Get Milliseconds/Seconds/Minutes/Hours Passed Since Previous Recorded!**

**Real Use Case**

I used these two nodes with a client just last night to help them make a game where they could record the amount of real world that has passed since someone last played their game!

So their goal was to know exactly how many hours minutes and seconds have passed since  a player logged of their game last!

It was really easy actually thanks to my Get OS nodes!

**Here are the steps:**

1. make a new save  with a simple String variable

2. when saving the , use my Get OS node and use the return value

3. When loading, use my Get Passed Since Last Recorded node!

That was it!

Here's a picture for reference!

![OSUpdate.jpg|1280x960](upload://b5ScGykuHpKI4gWMZuhiUcM40db.jpeg)

Enjoy!

[COLOR=ā€œ#0000FFā€]Draw Thick Circle With Axis Control[/COLOR]

New node for you!

With node you can draw circles!

And you can control their thickness, as well as how many points make up the circle!

You can also have axis control!

So you can draw circles horizontally, vertically, at angles, any way you like, with convenient BP node inputs!

See pics!

Sorry for the late reply, i forgot i had commented here :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link, it might be useful in the (near) future.

Iā€™m currently trying to think of a way to handle ā€˜upgradesā€™ for the player, i want to create a ā€˜upgrade treeā€™. Since each of the upgrades do different things i figured it would be best to create different BPs when necessary. However because i donā€™t know how many upgrades will have to be created i thought it would be better to use as a base class instead of Actor. If you know a better way of doing please let me know, iā€™m still not sure if my way is a good way to go :slight_smile:

What I would do is make a BP Structure asset, and then put the skill tree vars there

And then you can use a Dynamic Array of your BP Structure type!

right click->Blueprint->Structure

So now you have a custom data structure that you can easily copy/paste/replace/break, and yet you can have as many as you want due to the dynamic array!

New BP Node

Get Player Unique Net ID

While working with a client earlier today in Blueprints I came to realize that the essential variable, PlayerID, present in the PlayerState class, is not exposed to Blueprints!

Iā€™ve submitted a pull request to have Epic address , but in the meantime, Iā€™ve also given you a BP node that gets you very important variable!

You can use the PlayerID to uniquely identify players in a networked game using Blueprints!

is an essential variable that lets you assign values to each unit to tell each player who owns which unit :slight_smile:

**Using it**

In your game mode in the post login, when you receive the player, you can then use my node to obtain that player's Net ID, and assign that unique ID wherever you like as an ID variable.

Make sure to replicate the variables that are storing the unique Net ID so  players on  machines know who owns which units!

![PlayerID.jpg|1034x633](upload://fnybdEiCFWxQiaSrLdayyxiwgbb.jpeg)

Have fun!

Thatā€™s what i started out with, but i soon realised that most (if not ) upgrades will do different things so using one class + structs would make things really messy. For example, one upgrade might be a short boost in health, while another upgrade will permanently increase health regeneration, yet another one allows faster movement speed in certain areas. What iā€™m currently doing is spawning an upgrade that receives a notification when bought together with the buying playercontroller so it can do whatever it does.
I figured it would be easier to use different BPs for the upgrades so itā€™s easier to keep track of what a certain upgrade does and where things might be going wrong.

ooooh

yea the big complication with my suggestion is that you cant add functions to Structures in BP, but you can in C++

So I can do everything I can do in a class in a USTRUCT in c++, but not so in BP, yet, maybe Epic will fix at some point!

Once you can make BPs of UObjects Iā€™d recommend going the Uboject route

having an Actor BP for every upgrade is pretty intense :slight_smile:

Get Screen Resolutions Now Works in Packaged Game

My Get Screen Resolution Nodes works in packaged games now!

In 4.3 the core function in C++ was not working in BP, but now it is! Epic fixed it!

Enjoy getting the screen resolutions of the end userā€™s hardware in your game now!

It is obtained from the userā€™s display adapter directly! No guessing or preset values!

:slight_smile:

I did not know there is a structure BP until thread. Good Info.

Anyway , a dumb question, I just need overwrite the last plugin with the latest plugin?

Will existing Victory nodes (using previous version of your plugin) need reconnecting, or jut work out of the box?

I used a few of your plugin like OS clock/ & some others I forgot.

If you download the latest version of my plugin you will only be getting new nodes and your previous ones will still work!

top secret: my latest download already has a get vertices of static mesh node that I"ve not yet ahem officially publically announced yet

Thanks .

Now, we only need a function node that make coffeeā€¦

Blueprint Node to access Vertex information of static meshes / collision blocks

Hi ,

I am currently working on my graduate thesis on fire propagation. My thesis explores what I have coined ā€œmaterial based fire propagationā€; fire reacts and spreads differently when interacting with different surfaces. In the process, I am hoping to build an intelligent fire system. As a first step, I need to be able to access the vertices of a mesh so that i can propagate emitters along those vertices. What I have achieved so far is to be able to propagate along spline meshes. is because of blueprint nodes available to calculate number of points along a spline, point locations along a spline and so on. But there are no blueprints available to do similar things with other types of meshes (e.g. static meshes). I am aware of other threads where you had posted codes to help people integrate it into their work. One such example, being ā€œAccessing Vertex Positions of static mesh - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forumsā€. However, when I tried to do the same with the codes posted, I keep getting compile errors which points to some default unreal api header files. Being primarily a texture artist and designer, I have difficulty trying to get codes to work and I am very rusty with c++. Would it be possible to help me out with blueprint nodes that can calculate and access vertex information of static meshes please? I am sure other artists and designers would benefit from mesh ā€œvertex info accessā€ blueprint nodes.

Thanx,
CatchPhyre

Hey ,

I think I got your victory plug-in to work. I am gonna play with it to see what it can do :). Thanks alot for the plug-in!!!

Cheers,
CatchPhyre